Bedbugs

So, Rose got married this weekend.  It was truly a beautiful wedding.  The weather was nice and the ceremony was outdoors, very close to an alpaca!  [Speaking of which, let’s not forget the alpaca festival is this weekend!] My heels kept sinking into the wet ground, but I’m pretty sure that didn’t affect the ceremony.  It was short and sweet, with homemade vows and Rose looking so lovely.  Her hair is exceptionally cute — sassy and fun.  The dress was gorgeous — one of those classic strapless numbers with the beautiful satin ribboning around it.  You know what I’m talking about?  Anyway, Rose was, of course, gorgeous.  The bridesmaids’ dresses were a rich chocolate with really stunning rhinestone broaches.  I was really feeling the broaches.  I think Ellen, Rose’s sister, worried I was going to steal hers as she covered it up with a cute wrap after I mentioned how much I liked it.

Anyway, the ceremony was just perfect and afterwards, we all went inside to the barn, which was decorated with pretty white lights and sunflower centerpieces.  The hors d’oeuvres were delicious — bruschetta, hummus, almonds, cheese & crackers — very Mediterranean and yumsville.  There was a copious amount of wine, which I thoroughly enjoyed.  The speeches were sweet, funny and heartfelt — exactly what you want at a wedding.  The dinner was really amazing — the Michigan salad was outrageously good and the grilled veggies were doused with yummy yummy olive oil and my beef tenderloin was grand.  Really, it was all so pretty and perfect.

I was lucky enough to be able to sit next to the star of the show, or at least when she was able to sit down.  As I remember from my own wedding, there’s not a lot of slow periods at the show when you’re the bride.  I watched to make sure she at least got something to eat, but she was up and circulating, it seemed, before she had more than a sip of her champagne.  Oh, Rose!  Such a great bride.

The best part may have been when Rosie said, “Where’s my husband?”  Not great because he was MIA for a moment, but great because it was so cute to hear.  And just as natural.

It was also great to see Claire, another old pal from Italy with whom I’d lost touch.  She was as fun and dynamic as ever and it was really great to be around a familiar and so-friendly face.

This is really where the greatness of the weekend ends.  At around 10:30 I was ready to crash, so I decided to part ways with the DeLuca-Gollnitz crew and say goodbye to the Cobblestone Farm.  My chosen spot for the night, the Lamp Post Inn (which is a two-story, L-shaped motel with a pool like the one in Karate Kid), was about a half of a mile away so I was quickly in bed.  Before I hit the mattress, though, I needed to use the loo and the sink.  Normal bedtime behavior, I think.  This is when I discovered the toilet didn’t work in any way other than to serve as a receptacle and that turning on the water in the sink meant HUGE ants would crawl out of it, look me in the eye and ask me what I thought I was doing.  Ick!  I was really too tired to worry too much about it, so I curled up in bed — trying my hardest not to touch the bedspread as I shoved it off the bed.  Sleep came for awhile until around 2:30 am when I awoke to what had to be at least 30 twentysomethings screaming at the top of their lungs, blasting music out of their rooms, playing hackeysack in the parking lot and running up and down the cement hall.  This lasted for, I’d say, two hours.  I’ve really never seen anything like it.  I stared out my broken vertical blinds at the scene.  Doors were all open with folks sitting in the doorways, people were out and about talking and yelling, and everyone had at least one beer in their hand.  The place had really come alive.  I tried to go back to sleep and I must have, but I woke up at seven (six Wisco time), remembered the ants and packed up as quickly as I ever have.  I pretty much ran out the door, but was quickly stopped in my tracks by a totally freaky looking cat staring right at me.  I let out a pretty quiet scream and thought about what to do.  It started coming towards me.  I backed away.  It was standing between me and the stairs I needed to use to escape from the ants and the backed up toilet.  It walked towards the stairs.  I followed.  By this time I had told myself, “Kate, it’s a cat.  You are much bigger and somewhat brighter and just get out of here!”  So, I approached it as it guarded the stairs.  It arched its back and its gaze was now fierce.  I ran the other way, finding stairs on the other end of the motel.  I reached my car, threw my stuff in, drove off to the front desk, basically threw the key at the guy standing in the doorway, and didn’t stop until I hit Indiana.

Well, not entirely true.  I got a coffee at a Shell station somewhere in western Michigan.  But, when I did make it home to Madison, I threw everything in the suitcase into the wash.  Everything except my toothbrush, which I threw in the garbage.  Ew!

10 Responses to “Bedbugs”

1. 1 Sara H April 21, 2008 at 2:07 pm

Wow, that sounds like a delightful wedding. I love the idea of a converted barn for that type of event, how cool. Sorry about the bed bugs and all the rest, though. Yikes!

However, I must just say: I love the offhand reference to Karate Kid. I can picture the pool perfectly.

You’re the BEST! Around! And nothing’s ever gonna keep you down!

2. 2 kateandgracie April 21, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Thanks! Really, if you had seen the pool in person, there would have been no question. One look at the pool = seeing the apartment complex in LA and Mr Miyagi and bonsai trees and asses dressed as skeletons.

The wedding really was great. Made me wish I’d gone to yours, Sara, since there really is no substitute for seeing your sweet friends get married.

3. 3 Kristin April 21, 2008 at 8:45 pm

Did you see anyone running around in a red and white polka dot shower curtain?

Love the new puppy pick!

4. 4 Kristin April 21, 2008 at 8:46 pm

Of course I meant pic, not pick.

5. 5 Obama Da' bama April 21, 2008 at 9:51 pm

The wedding sounds lovely. congratulations Rose!

That hotel definitely sounds like a good rival to our philly one. actually, it sounds worse, especially because you were alone and not 21. however, even though your shoes had aerated a lawn, you hadn’t walked the entire length of central park and back on a mere diet coke and a pretzel, so the philly one may be a close second.

i just saw eastern promises. why is the russian mafia so much scarier than the italian/new york one? i guess italy invokes passion, art, family, wine, and good food, whereas russia invokes vodka and potatoes.

6. 6 Sarayu April 22, 2008 at 6:18 am

Ok, this might be my favorite blog to date. The wedding sounds like it was just perfection, while your motel story sounds mortifying. I’m sorry you weren’t able to get a broach, though. Or were you…?

And the cat? I seriously laughed so hard, I almost fell off my chair.

You are brilliant.

7. 7 kateandgracie April 22, 2008 at 8:09 am

What is brilliant, Rao, is that I have that pic you sent of yourself as my wallpaper. Where did you get that rainbow heart top?

The wedding, like I said, really was outstanding. I can’t decide about the Philly hotel, Obamamama, versus Lamp Post Inn. I mean, Philly was SCARY! But, I had you and was too young to really worry too much. And there was no cat. But, you’re right, Philly was amplified in its scariness by our weakened state, whereas with the delicious food from the wedding, I could have easily defended myself at Lamp Post. I declare it apples and oranges.

8. 8 Mary April 22, 2008 at 9:39 am

this is such a fun blog for me. althi I’m a bit miffed that the pic is now Gracie, not Clancy. The motel sounds like it should be condemned!

9. 9 Sarayu April 22, 2008 at 11:45 am

Um, that picture is really not for use. I’d prefer it if you went ahead and put that in the trash. Using it as wallpaper- now that’s just cruel.

As for the top, yeah, I got the entire ensemble at Ross. The watch and earrings, which you couldn’t see, were from Claire’s. Oh so precious. Needless to say, I humiliated myself and then they forgot to laugh at my funny, funny work. Also, they forgot to call and cast me. Very bizarre.

10. 10 kateandgracie April 22, 2008 at 1:27 pm

I wish I could figure out how to post the pic of you so that all could see it. It’s just so cute! But I can’t even get the dumb flickr pics to show up and that’s not even supposed to be hard. Oh, WordPress. Why aren’t we better friends?