Dentures as comic gold.

Facebook is many things. One of them is a really neat vehicle to reconnect with old friends. Friends that you knew were still out there, and suspected were doing really neat things, but with whom you really hadn’t had any contact since you maybe ran into them at Four Star during one of your college years.

One such friend is a gal named Kayt, who was pretty much my best grade school friend. Kayt, like me, had a lawyer for a parent, was an only child, and had to attend what was called after-school day care because our parents worked till the shocking hour of five. When we were in about fourth grade, we really started rebelling against this day care idea and just went home. Often together — probably for two reasons: (1) it was more fun that way; and (2) it was easier to convince our folks that we were safe if we were together. Well, Kayt is now in Japan and has a really neat blog of her own. She’s clearly become a master storyteller and still has the brains and wit that make me remember the way she was back in the day. She was always so much more advanced than I was in the ways of the world (as is clear from some of the stories she tells on her blog). For example, I remember shortly after I had gotten braces (so I was about 11), she and my mom and I were having dinner at the now-defunct Upstairs Downstairs Deli at Hilldale. My mom got into a converation with folks at a neighboring table (I suspect she knew these people as my mom is not really a start-chatting-with-strangers person) about things like, well, my braces. There must have been some discussion — jovial, I’m sure — on how much the damn things cost and what’s a parent to do. Without missing a beat (in my head anyway), Kayt said, “Yeah, and the next thing you know, she’ll be needing dentures.” Laughter all around! What a hit! Except for with me because I had no idea what dentures were. I felt like a total idiot.  That was Kayt: funnier and wittier and brighter than I. She had a self-confidence I admire to this day.

What I also admire is her ability to tell a story.  As is evident here and here and here. And pretty much everywhere else on her blog.

18 Responses to “Dentures as comic gold.”

1. 1 Gretchen August 20, 2008 at 2:12 am

Well, I’m sure that Miss Kayt is a wonderful and witty gal (any friend of Kate’s is a friend of mine . . .) with a marvelous blog (haven’t checked it out), but I suspect that my dear friend Kate, with her self-deprecating wit, sells herself short . . .

(Oh, and I only knew what dentures were when I was little because my paternal grandparents would take out their teeth at night and put them in a little glass by the bed . . . gives me the willies to this day . . .)

2. 2 kateandgracie August 20, 2008 at 9:22 am

You are the nicest. But why on earth were you up so EARLY? Or late, I suppose. But I suspect early.

3. 3 kateandgracie August 20, 2008 at 11:05 am

Also, I want to note that I just went and reread comments to the post “I’m getting a pumpkin” and peeps were really spot on. Those comments were way better than the post. I challenge you, Dear Reader, to comment with abandon and fearlessness!

4. 4 Gretchen August 20, 2008 at 12:09 pm

I am an insomniac . . . I do it every night . . . 2-5:30 last night and then I act surprised at being so tired all the time . . . yawn . . .

5. 5 G August 20, 2008 at 1:20 pm

Your friend’s blog is brilliant. I am not a bit surprised that you’ve stayed true to character– skipping out on day care :).

There was a letter to the editor in the wall street journal today (which would be really clever to link to, if I knew how) indicating that kids should only be left home alone for less than 2 hours under age 10. I clearly recall being home alone sick all day when the Challenger blew up. (I was nine). I wonder what the statute of limitations is on child neglect. jk

BTW-I greatly enjoy reading your blog too, my dear. You’re very eloquent. I only wish you watched Top Gear so you could blog about that!

6. 6 Kristin August 20, 2008 at 2:08 pm

Hey! I was home sick the day the Challenger blew up too! Only, my mom was there…

7. 7 G August 20, 2008 at 3:38 pm

so you must have one of those so-called nice moms. 🙂

8. 8 kateandgracie August 20, 2008 at 4:08 pm

Actually, what’s funny is that I know Kayt was home sick the day the Challenger blew up, too — I remember because she talked about how they kept showing the clip all day long as she tried to watch less depressing tv. I bet she was there alone, but I’m not sure. Plus, we were in 5th grade at that time, not 4th like y’all.

9. 9 Kayt August 20, 2008 at 4:53 pm

I sure was at home, sick. I was at my dad’s, so by that time my grandmother would have been somewhere in the house….and my father might have been there (the dispatcher job had an odd weekly schedule).

10. 10 Gretchen August 22, 2008 at 1:32 pm

Changing the subject for a moment, does anyone else think the wrong person went home on Project Runway??

11. 11 kateandgracie August 22, 2008 at 1:42 pm

Oh my, talk about this you guys! I missed it because of book club so please feel free to discuss…I will review on the website. Honestly, I’m not always sad about missing PR when it’s still so early. Though I know it’s not that early…

Sidenote: Yay to Gretchen for being on this blog despite the fact she never sleeps!

12. 12 rose August 22, 2008 at 4:41 pm

I don’t know. I am ok with the decision. He has not impressed me at all. I think he thinks he’s better than he really is. I also think this may not be the right show for him. He would probably be better in a different sort of environment. I felt like saying–have you seen the show before? You do have to design outfits with some pretty crazy limitations/rules whatever the case may be. I understand he isn’t into the Olympics but I thought his purple dress was absolutely horrible. Not a huge fan of anyone really though.

13. 13 rose August 22, 2008 at 4:45 pm

..and I was NOT sick the day the challenger blew up. I remember we wrote the names of the crew on balloons and then let them go–we watched until we couldn’t see them any longer. Then I have no memory of the rest of the day.

14. 14 Kristin August 22, 2008 at 5:18 pm

I’m with Rose. I thought Daniel needed to go. Enough already with the “I have impeccable taste”. This whole challenge just annoyed me anyway. I’m finding this season, sadly, a bit of a yawn in general. But if I had to pick any favorites they would probably be Korto and Kenley.

15. 15 Kristin August 22, 2008 at 5:18 pm

Wow. Now that is a color I can get behind. Yay.

16. 16 Sarayu August 22, 2008 at 6:56 pm

Kate, and Kayt. Wow.

Between both of your blogs I am remembering all sorts of things I must’ve blocked out! So crazy to think about those times. I was a terrible girl scout. I’m pretty certain my parents only sent me to get rid of me for a while. It wasn’t much later that they made me start karate, to give them a little more space from my loud and obnoxious self.

You two both write brilliantly. You’re just such clever, descriptive story-tellers. I’m sufficiently intimidated. I don’t see myself starting any blogs soon.

And Kristin, that color is just lovely.

17. 17 kateandgracie August 25, 2008 at 9:43 am

I’ve now seen the Olympic project runway and I really thought Terry’s was outstanding. While I like Korto’s stuff a lot, I just thought Terry’s was so much more. And I know this is old news, but that Jennifer is so ridiculous. Why does she keep insisting she’s a surrealist when really she’s just boring? Brushed up on the drag queen episode with the online shots, but still need to see episode to actually say something. I agree, Kristin, this season is kind of a downer, but maybe it’s just because it’s still early. I maintain that it doesn’t really get good till they stop dismissing half the crew without comment.

18. 18 Heather August 26, 2008 at 9:05 am

I just read Kayt’s first blog entry and I’m not sure I can take that stuff. Meaning my own memories of that time, not her stuff.

I haven’t seen much of pr this season, but i did like the pick to go home this week. i guess it’s last week, now.

I also didn’t really know what dentures were for a long time, even though supposedly my grandmother had them and would entertain us by taking them out and chasing us around with her gums flapping.