Puppy and the city

First off, Dear Reader, I do not know if wordpress if looking different for you, but it is for me.  If it is not diff for you, good.  If it is, we are in this together and I feel your trepidation.  Or, at least, I feel my own and imagine that I empathize with yours.

Ok, moving on.  Gracie and I went to Chicago this weekend.  To my friends who live in Cities and have dogs I ask, how do you do it?  First, Grace tolerated, but did not enjoy, the elevator. We were on the 18th floor and while she behaved fairly well on it, every trip was a bit of an adventure.  And then walking out of the hotel and trying to find a blade of grass…I mean, (a) it’s winter so that’s hard enough but (b) it’s Michigan Avenue and it’s rather urban and lacks grass or any dog-friendly pee area.  Eventually we found spots that worked, and we actually met or saw lots of dogs on our treks, but I still found myself repeatedly thinking, “How do citygoers deal with having a dog?”  Seriously.  It seemed like a lot of work for the central-city dog owner.  And dog.

Actually, it reminded me a bit of being in Italy.  I remember when my parents were visiting me in Florence and my mom said something along the lines of, “I think I would really miss greenery.”  And Andrea said to her, sweetly and brilliantly, “Yeah, it’s true there’s a lack of green, but in the pre- Renaissance and Ren itself there was an emphasis on differentiating the cities from the country, so cities took pride in their lack of green.”  Interesting, no?!

Anyway, this blog is not doing as well as it was with the Palin discussion.  Is there anything anyone craves discussing that has not been put forth?  The new Obama public works proposal?  The damn Detroit bailout?  How Alpine Snow may not have been the best choice for my pedicure with Heather?

Get ready to think resolutions or, rather, reasons 2008 was not so bad.

13 Responses to “Puppy and the city”

1. 1 Kayt December 7, 2008 at 7:13 pm

I’d just like to say that I miss green. Much of the Japanese economy is based on constant construction (I think in of Dogs and Demons the author mentioned a whopping 3 rivers in Japan that have not undergone for concrete relocation/shaping). Constant construction means mountains beautiful from some angles, laticed with concrete from others. It also means that apartments and houses do not appreciate in value and are not well insulated…they simple are expected to be replaced in a few years.

Dogs and cats get carried around a lot here, in many outfits. I am saddened by the number of dogs I see taken for walks who don’t often get to touch paw to land. Small breeds, and breeds in general… also rule here….so nothing makes me happier than seeing a naked super mutt getting a real walk.

2. 2 G December 8, 2008 at 10:43 am

Seriously- as a competition lawyer, I generally pride myself on generally being able to figure out whether something is anti-competitive or pro-competitive– BUT I CANNOT figure out why Ford thinks that IT will fail if GM does? Wouldn’t getting rid of a competitor help their business? Are they somehow supplying parts to each other… I can’t imagine another logical reason why this is the case. Someone, please explain.

3. 3 Sara H December 8, 2008 at 2:18 pm

I too am puzzled by city dwelling dogs. I think they must have incredibly dedicated, patient owners. I remember how irritated I was going up and down stairs to haul in groceries once a week when I lived on a third floor – just the very fact of having to do elevators to take my dog out might annoy the heck out of me. And you must have to do an awful lot of walking to make up for running around in green space. Or maybe me and Keely are just spoiled by our fenced yard and dog door (the best thing ever for doggies who beg to go outside all the time – and also if your dog locks you out of the house).

I probably don’t pay enough attention to the bailout, but I’m not sure I completely understand the aversion to filing for Chapter 11 – consumer confidence would drop? Really? Desperate grovelling before Congress and angering taxpayers wouldn’t have the same effect?

4. 4 Kristin December 8, 2008 at 6:50 pm

Well, I don’t have a dog, and don’t plan to get one while I live in Brooklyn because of everything you’ve mentioned. Ugh. But I have done some dog walking for friends, including one time when I lived in Brooklyn Heights for a week and walked Olive the French bulldog several times a day. Olive was a trooper and much better than the other dog I sometimes walk in Soho, but the apartment was a fourth floor walk up, the ‘hood was completely devoid of green and it was the dead of winter. Loved living in that beautiful apartment, loved the dog, but the walking was a trial. Ah well.

Bailouts? Double ugh. I don’t know. I do think it’s important that America has a viable auto industry, but seriously doubt anything would change about how they make cars even with this bailout. And American cars just seem so inferior. Although, like with the dog, being a city dweller means I have no plans to buy a car anytime soon. So what do I know.

Anyone seen Milk yet?

5. 5 kateandgracie December 11, 2008 at 10:30 am

Have not seen Milk. Have seen Role Models. A+.

I am just about done with Christmas shopping. Well, to the extent that one is ever really done. I always feel I spend too much money and then still don’t have all the gifts I want to give. I don’t think, though, that I’ve ever been almost done in the first half of December. I really had a bee in my bonnet this year.

6. 6 kateandgracie December 11, 2008 at 10:31 am

Also, I would like to point out that Andrea has a dog in NYC, but she has not shared her thoughts on the subject. Rose also has a dog in Baltimore, but Rose also has a house in Baltimore so I imagine that is a little different than Michigan Avenue. And finally, I would like to say that Rose has told me there is a fun pizza place/bar in Baltimore that is dog-friendly and I would really like one of thsoe here.

7. 7 kateandgracie December 11, 2008 at 10:32 am

And yes, if it takes just me leaving my own comments on my own post to boost my comment numbers and make me feel better about myself, so be it.

8. 8 Kristin December 11, 2008 at 11:53 am

One more!

I really do need to see that Role Models. And you’ll be happy to know that Tropic Thunder is at the top of my Netflix queue.

9. 9 Sara H December 11, 2008 at 12:01 pm

What is up with Tropic Thunder? I saw Cruise and Downey Jr. got GG noms this morning for that? Huh? I haven’t seen it, but my impression was that Cruise was barely in that movie at all.

Congrats on the shopping! I must get my head in that game. And in the holiday baking game.

10. 10 kateandgracie December 11, 2008 at 12:52 pm

Ugh, baking. You’re right. I might try my hand at some ornaments, too. What do people get their secretaries? I’m plum out of ideas.

Tropic Thunder was really very funny and T. Cruise was — I hope you’re sitting down — BRILLS. His role was much bigger than I had originally thought, too, though it was still very much supporting. I mean, hmm. You raise an interesting point, I think. RDJ’s part was much bigger than Cruise’s, but is probably fair to say it was supporting as well. Perhaps they should make a third category: small but very supportive.

11. 11 rose December 11, 2008 at 6:08 pm

Ok I have not seen Tropic Thunder nor had I planned on seeing it, but after reading this blog I might have to add it to the queue. I’m really pretty baffled by the use of the word BRILLS in relation to Tom Cruise esp in a movie like Tropic Thunder..hmm..very interesting.

Yes I have a dog in Bmore and while I do live in the city limits, I don’t live downtown so I don’t have the problem with the lack of greenery. Actually though Bmore (even downtown) is not bad for a dog because rather than lots of high rises, we have tons and tons of rowhouses. Also let’s be frank about it—Baltimore is a pretty small city when we’re comparing it to NYC and Chicago so I’m not sure it really counts at all. Anyway a few months ago they closed our dog park with no plans to reopen anytime soon it seems. My dogpark friends and I are all pretty sad about it. Also now the trails that used to be used lightly around the area are totally jam packed bc of the park closure so we don’t even go there anymore. It sucks. The park did close a few years back for about a year so I’m hoping by next winter we’ll be back in business. Yes the bar is the Thirsty Dog pub!

12. 12 kateandgracie December 12, 2008 at 11:00 am

That’s AWFUL. About the dog park closing. I mean, really — that’s not cool Bmore. I’m guessing it’s about money, but how much can it really cost? I really like the dog park I go to — by the Coliseum — but I don’t always feel like the other owners like me. It’s not the friendliest place in the world, though I do think I saw a guy and a gal sort of meet & start hanging out together there a few weeks ago.

13. 13 kateandgracie December 12, 2008 at 2:53 pm

Where the bleeping bleep bleep is my PHONE?