Craptastic

I don’t know how many readers have seen Benjamin Button, but I know there is at least one who colorfully dubbed it ‘craptastic.’

Now that it has garnered 13 nominations, that same loyal reader — our very own Kristin — has offered this additional thought: Benjamin Button makes Forrest Gump look like Citizen Kane.

For some reason, this has made me want to see it. It sounds so awful that I don’t know that I want to be left out of the joke. But three hours?

26 Responses to “Craptastic”

1. 1 Sara H January 23, 2009 at 3:28 pm

I haven’t seen this flick, but I saw a picture the other day and I thought someone had lifted a screen shot from the Val Kilmer flick The Saint, where he’s pretending to be the nutty reporter. But it was Brad Pitt “old.” And I think with less prosthetic face parts. Brad Pitt, see your future?

2. 2 Kristin January 23, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Thanks for the shout out Kate. I can’t remember being so annoyed by a showering of Oscar nods. Ugh. And while everyone is buzzing about all the noms it got, no one talks about the dark secret of the movie: Cate Blanchett, blatantly, sucks! I mean, not in every moment of course, but a lot of the time. I don’t blame her, believe me. It’s not her fault, except for that she took the stupid overdrawn, hyperbolic role in the first place. Wait until you see her old and on her death bed – ridonkulous!

Talking about this movie gives me palpitations. I need to stop.

3. 3 gracieandkate January 26, 2009 at 10:47 am

I’m sorry about the palpitations, really. But listening to you talk about gives me no small amount of glee. It’s just so funny.

Has anyone seen the Reader? Is it weird that Kate Winslet’s role in it is described as ‘supporting?’

I saw Frosty/Nix on Friday and really just LOVED it. I know that probably sounds dumb because it’s like, well, duh, who wouldn’t like it? When I first saw the previews, I couldn’t wait to see it, but then it didn’t come…and it didn’t come…and it didn’t come…And then it was here and I didn’t feel like it so much anymore. So I sort of forced myself to go. I didn’t expect to be so moved and saddened by it. A great portrait of a misguided man, I thought.

4. 4 Heather January 26, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Glad to hear that frost/nix was good as i have also been losing my motivation to see it. i also sort of want to see bb due to the oscar noms, but i just think it will be painful to sit through. i do think i want to see the reader, though. has anyone seen revolutionary road?

5. 5 Kristin January 26, 2009 at 6:01 pm

The only thing I’ve seen besides BB is The Wrestler, which I liked. But I didn’t love it as much as I thought I would.

I am seeing, via FB statuses, that some people really liked BB. At least they are saying they did. Harrumph.

6. 6 Sarayu January 27, 2009 at 2:21 am

I absolutely LOVED Frost/ Nixon. I just thought Frank Langella was outstanding. I did not enjoy BB at all, and I’m annoyed that it’s getting so much attention. I consider that a waste of a nomination. I didn’t hate the movie, but it certainly doesn’t need to be leading the Oscar nom pack. Yet to see “The Wrestler” and the Kate Winslet double features. And yes, I think it’s entirely bizarre she was nominated as a “Supporting” in “The Reader.” Sometimes they submit themselves that way because there’s a better chance of winning, or being nominated, or in her case, being nominated twice. I don’t know who makes those decisions but I’m guessing it’s either the studios or her agents- definitely the people who are focussing on the gold.

7. 7 Sarayu January 27, 2009 at 11:17 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MY BEAUTIFUL GIRL!!!!

8. 8 gwendolyngarden January 27, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Happy Birthday!!!! Here’s the Pride & Prejudice meets 300 movie I told you about last night. It is truly craptastic. http://www.lastlegion-movie.com/

9. 9 gracieandkate January 27, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Thanks, kids! Craptastic is one of the best words ever. That and anything ending in —asaurus rex.

10. 10 Kristin January 27, 2009 at 1:18 pm

OMG – it’s catching on! I’m so honored. I still think asaurus rex is the absolute best.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I was looking at pictures last night of the last birthday (and only) I spent with you – ten years ago. We went to a wine bar and then out for Italian on Meeting Street. Or was it King Street? I get them mixed up. Anyway there is one girl in the pix at the dinner that JP and I could not for the life of us identify and I need to ask you about it next time we talk. And we looked at one particular picture of Sandy and Ben that seriously almost made me pee my pants. Do you remember how they totally took a liking to each other and had a little banter going when he visited?

Some Americorps memories for your birthday, my beautiful friend. It’s where it all started and I can’t believe it’s been ten years! I love you.

11. 11 gracieandkate January 27, 2009 at 1:59 pm

I can’t believe it’s been that long, either. Geesh. I wonder who would have been at that dinner…Oh, you know what, I think I’m maybe picturing her. Only because I’m picturing the photo of that dinner. Hmm. Don’t know why some non-gold fiver would have been there. And I do remember Sandy and Ben. I think Maria had to tell Sandy that Ben and I were together and Sandy didn’t really believe it.

How’s jury duty? I’m really jealous.

So, it sounds like yuo & JP obviously got together. Tell all.

12. 12 gracieandkate January 27, 2009 at 3:42 pm

You know what recently occured to me? It’s a very good thing that I did NOT go to Sundance. Had I gone, I would have been gone from the 15th through the 26th or so. That would have left very little time at all to work on my supreme court brief. Goodness! That could have been very scary. I suppose I could have tried to get an extension, but they’re not looked favorably upon in the supremes and it would have been embarrassing to ask for my first one. Geesh! I feel even better about the decision now that I thought of this (and the fact that Nelle told me yesterday that she was out in Utah for a bit and saw some of the festival in Salt Lake and that there were very few celebs because of the inauguration — whether this is true or not, I liked hearing it).

13. 13 rose January 27, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Happy Birthday!
    Are you doing anything festive this evening?

I think they actually suspended some of the viewing at sundance because of the inauguration (I’m pretty sure I saw Robert on tv saying that).

14. 14 Kristin January 27, 2009 at 5:22 pm

I love jury duty. You would just die if you were sitting in the questioning round I was in this afternoon (which continues tomorrow). The plaintiff’s lawyer might be the funniest attorney I’ve ever met besides you. He is soooo great! Although he talks a lot, I don’t mind it. I’m already biased – oh well. I don’t think I’ll get picked anyway.

The girl in the picture has short sort of wavy brown hair. Who is she?? Daniela is there too so maybe she was on that team? I don’t know.

JP was totally JP just less jumpy, more even. Was nice.

15. 15 gracieandkate January 28, 2009 at 10:26 am

That sounds nice. 2009 JP = 1998/99 JP – jumpiness.

I bet that’s it — she must have been on Daniela’s team. I feel like that dinner had sort of a morose quality to it, but we hadn’t decided to leave yet, had we?

I wonder if you were picked…anyone else ever served on a jury or gotten called? It’s crazy because I barely know anyone who’s gotten called, much less served and here is Kristin — in NYC — getting called at least twice and having already served once before. The world, my friends, is not fair.

16. 16 Kristin January 28, 2009 at 12:48 pm

It remains to be seen. I’m on my way back now for the defense’s questions. I do still love the other lawyer but I don’t really know if I want to do this one. We shall see!

17. 17 gracieandkate January 28, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Geesh! A two-day voir dire. Now I’ve heard everything!

My hands are cold. Is winter almost done?

18. 18 gracieandkate January 29, 2009 at 9:35 am

Also, I want to thank Rose for her advice all those years ago about the importance of eyeliner. I didn’t really sink in until very, very recently, so I think she was ahead of her time — at least as far as I’m concerned. Eyeliner really helps me out.

19. 19 Kristin January 29, 2009 at 10:38 am

Eeks! I still don’t use it. I can never get it right. I can’t live without my eyelash curler though.

20. 20 gracieandkate January 29, 2009 at 12:44 pm

I know. I always thought it was the eyelash curler and the mascara and that’s all I needed. But I find that the soft eyeliner pencil changes things dramatically for the good. Maybe it’s more because my face is such a puffball that I like it — I feel like my eyes are more defined with it, which obviously is the idea. Also, being more fair-haired than others, I feel like my eyes have no definition at all without it.

21. 21 Sara H January 30, 2009 at 8:49 am

Can someone please recommend a good mascara? I just started wearing it again – I’m in the midst of my annual, gradual increase in makeup as winter wears on and I feel more pasty (last month was lipstick). I just got maybelline great lash, and half the time I look like a raccoon by midday!

22. 22 gracieandkate January 30, 2009 at 10:02 am

You know, makeup artists always say how much they love that great lash, but I think it’s too watery and tends to run. I’ve been using Maybelline Full ‘N Soft and I mostly like it. I think Sarayu uses it too. I also just read a tip — in real simple, I think — that you should take the wand out of the bottle (jar? container? thing that holds the mascara) for a minute before applying and supposedly this prevents caking or something. I think Stephanie is a fan of some fancy pants Japanese mascara. I feel like the quest for the best mascara will be lifelong.

23. 23 Kristin January 30, 2009 at 10:32 am

I have to say I love the Great Lash. As long as I clean the tip off (gross) each time by wiping it on the inside of the bottle, no clumps and no probs. Very light and lasts all day.

24. 24 rose January 30, 2009 at 12:03 pm

I get called for Jury Duty every single year like clockwork. I served on a jury one time. It was only a one day trial. It was absolutely fascinating. I went through stages of wonder, excitement, surprise and then even a bit of guilt and sadness at the end (we found him guilty–it was a drug related charge). His defense attorney was straight out of Law and Order though I swear. Anyway, after I actually got to participate in the process I loved getting called for jury duty. The bad thing was that two years ago I contracted the worst case of the flu that I’ve ever had from one of the other jurors. I basically did not eat for an entire week. That sort of put a shadow of negativity on jury duty in general. Then this past year I just sat in the waiting room the entire day which does get sort of boring even when you bring reading materials. Anyway–I realize I’m a little late on the boat with this topic, but I had to chime in!
    Also—I think it’s hilarious that I preached the importance of eyeliner at one point because I have no recollection of that conversation at all (me not really knowing all that much about makeup anyway..sounds a little obnoxious of me really). I don’t wear mascara at all. I tried to take it up a bit a few months ago, but I stopped. I guess I can’t get used to it on myself for a regular day. I can’t even get used to seeing myself in lipstick unless it’s nighttime.
    Wow that was super long!

25. 25 gracieandkate January 30, 2009 at 12:06 pm

That was super awesome! Ok, I am about to write a new post about something pretty unrelated, but that does not mean I want mascara and jury duty discussions to cease. I do not. I also apologize, peeps, for sending you the 25 things thing. I felt guilty since peeps were doing it and I didn’t want to be one of those peeps that ignores, ignores, but feel free to ignore.

And Rosie, you were not obnox at all about the eyeliner. You were more like, “I’d rather wear eyeliner than mascara, if I could only wear one” and in my head this was shocking!

26. 26 rose January 30, 2009 at 1:39 pm

well ok then I still stand by my statement!
    🙂
    (actually now I wear eyeliner but then blend it with eyeshadow so it’s not so harsh)