I’m shocked

I know I should have seen this coming, but I just didn’t.  I need to marinate on this for a bit before writing about it.

10 Responses to “I’m shocked”

1. 1 gracieandkate May 4, 2009 at 10:30 am

Ok, this story didn’t go over that well…But I feel like I can’t post something new with that zero comments sign flashing at me so I will post my own comment. Not unusual, I know. I’m happy for Souter because he is such a private, hermit-like individual that I’m sure he’s counting the days until he can return to New Hamphsire without an October deadline looming over him. At the same time, what better job for a hermit than Supreme Court justice? I mean, talk about isolating. Anyway, eighteen years on the Court and being 69 years old and just wanting to live your life are all excellent reasons to hang up the robe. I will miss him, though. Not only was he not the Republican Establishment Man they thought he would be, he was part of no establishment. He was just a thoughtful, bright, compassionate, rational jurist. What more could we ask for?

That said, I’m excited to see who’s next and ready for Summer 2009 Confirmation Madness!

2. 2 Heather May 5, 2009 at 9:56 am

I do think it’s funny that it’s young to retire at 69 from the supreme court. geez. i don’t blame him. i hope i can retire at 69.

3. 3 gracieandkate May 5, 2009 at 10:09 am

There was some employee recognition here this morning (that I missed, of course, because it was from 7.30 to 9.30 and I usually arrive around 9.30). Anyway, there’s apparently at least one person who has spent 40 years with the State. FORTY YEARS. That’s crazy talk. I’m hoping it was someone who started in their very early twenties, but still. 40 years is enough. At least I hope it is. It should be.

4. 4 Kristin May 5, 2009 at 11:19 am

Off topic, a bit. Did anyone see this footage of Condi talking to a student at Stanford? It was last week I think. Thoughts?

I know what I think, of course. They’re all full of shit. But she is just especially fascinating to me because I do think she is an intelligent person and wonder very often how she got caught up in all of it. But maybe you’ll get something different from this exchange.

5. 5 gracieandkate May 5, 2009 at 12:43 pm

I haven’t watched yet, but I saw a headline somewhere where they described her as having had a “Nixon moment” recently. Is this that? And nice youtube insert, btw.

6. 6 gracieandkate May 5, 2009 at 12:43 pm

I also read that she recently met Randy from American Idol and was ridiculously excited about it.

7. 7 Kristin May 5, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Ha. She is bizarre.

8. 8 Kristin May 5, 2009 at 12:57 pm

And yes, I think I could describe the moment as Nixonian. She gets so flustered by being challenged by this Stanford student that she just gets snarky and defensive and sounds like a giant ass, IMO. And end up saying something along the lines of “The president told me I could do it so it was legal.”

9. 9 gracieandkate May 5, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Right! That’s what I read — Nixon moment in that, “If the president does it, it can’t be illegal.”

10. 10 Kristin May 5, 2009 at 1:58 pm

Yeah, she does seem to come around to that towards the end. The best part is when she calls the student “dear.”

May 2009
« Apr   Jun »
17181920212223

This photo doesn’t wholly capture how annoying it was to put up with this medicine cabinet for four years. It infringed on the already tiny amount of space we had in our en-suite bath. So, on Friday, something amazing happened. #recessthatcabinet #brassisback #allthingsbrass #potterybarn #bathroomupgrade #happyinteriors
Aaron as hodag. #hodag #hodaginmadison #publicart #rhinelandercreature #madisonmakingsmiles #madisonwi #cityofmadison
I did not see this one coming. # # # I said something about how he should knock off the bananas #Brewers insults and he shot back . . . with this. #milwaukeebrewers #gobrewers #turninguptheheat #wisconsin #sconnielove #katokaelinblockedme #katokaelin #blockedontwitter
Miss you, Dad. #oneyear
Go Brewers!! #gobrewers #mylittlebrewer #turninguptheheat #gamefour #milwaukeebrewers #sconniefans #MILvLAD⚾️
There was a day when she learned to #dab and she didn’t tell me. And she just pulled it out at some friends’ house one night, like it was the most natural thing. And while I couldn’t stop laughing, I realized I was witnessing another example of what will be only more big steps away from me and the life I thought the three of us had together. And I know that is beautiful and how it should be. But catching myself, watching that moment, finding it in a photograph? It takes my breath away at how fleeting and transient and amazing this all is. Molly, you are my #everything. I’m better because of you. Being your mom is the best thing that has ever happened to me. By far. And I lived in Italy! #parenting #whyivoteblue #fallinwisconsin #moments #passageoftime #itgoestoofast