I’m shocked

I know I should have seen this coming, but I just didn’t.  I need to marinate on this for a bit before writing about it.

10 Responses to “I’m shocked”

1. 1 gracieandkate May 4, 2009 at 10:30 am

Ok, this story didn’t go over that well…But I feel like I can’t post something new with that zero comments sign flashing at me so I will post my own comment. Not unusual, I know. I’m happy for Souter because he is such a private, hermit-like individual that I’m sure he’s counting the days until he can return to New Hamphsire without an October deadline looming over him. At the same time, what better job for a hermit than Supreme Court justice? I mean, talk about isolating. Anyway, eighteen years on the Court and being 69 years old and just wanting to live your life are all excellent reasons to hang up the robe. I will miss him, though. Not only was he not the Republican Establishment Man they thought he would be, he was part of no establishment. He was just a thoughtful, bright, compassionate, rational jurist. What more could we ask for?

That said, I’m excited to see who’s next and ready for Summer 2009 Confirmation Madness!

2. 2 Heather May 5, 2009 at 9:56 am

I do think it’s funny that it’s young to retire at 69 from the supreme court. geez. i don’t blame him. i hope i can retire at 69.

3. 3 gracieandkate May 5, 2009 at 10:09 am

There was some employee recognition here this morning (that I missed, of course, because it was from 7.30 to 9.30 and I usually arrive around 9.30). Anyway, there’s apparently at least one person who has spent 40 years with the State. FORTY YEARS. That’s crazy talk. I’m hoping it was someone who started in their very early twenties, but still. 40 years is enough. At least I hope it is. It should be.

4. 4 Kristin May 5, 2009 at 11:19 am

Off topic, a bit. Did anyone see this footage of Condi talking to a student at Stanford? It was last week I think. Thoughts?

I know what I think, of course. They’re all full of shit. But she is just especially fascinating to me because I do think she is an intelligent person and wonder very often how she got caught up in all of it. But maybe you’ll get something different from this exchange.

5. 5 gracieandkate May 5, 2009 at 12:43 pm

I haven’t watched yet, but I saw a headline somewhere where they described her as having had a “Nixon moment” recently. Is this that? And nice youtube insert, btw.

6. 6 gracieandkate May 5, 2009 at 12:43 pm

I also read that she recently met Randy from American Idol and was ridiculously excited about it.

7. 7 Kristin May 5, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Ha. She is bizarre.

8. 8 Kristin May 5, 2009 at 12:57 pm

And yes, I think I could describe the moment as Nixonian. She gets so flustered by being challenged by this Stanford student that she just gets snarky and defensive and sounds like a giant ass, IMO. And end up saying something along the lines of “The president told me I could do it so it was legal.”

9. 9 gracieandkate May 5, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Right! That’s what I read — Nixon moment in that, “If the president does it, it can’t be illegal.”

10. 10 Kristin May 5, 2009 at 1:58 pm

Yeah, she does seem to come around to that towards the end. The best part is when she calls the student “dear.”

May 2009
« Apr   Jun »
17181920212223

Noontime walk. #hellobucky #bascomhall #ineedthosepitzips #sweatyandfreezing #winterinwisconsin #madisonwi
After an extremely long and entertaining (for those over 6) retirement party, my little Bear has crashed with her little bear. . . . I’ve heard through the office grapevine that some peeps don’t think kids should be at events like this. And that’s a legit opinion. But it’s not mine or Aaron’s so I think we should be all good. . . . Retirements are so bittersweet. This one was a doozy. . . . #wisconsin #friends #ourkidcomeswithus #wiscobarkid #bearonbear #workfamily #humility #sincerity #honesty #love #b&w #eyelashes
A series I’m calling An End of a Era: Skye Had a Limit. Truth be told, she ghosted on Skye and the gang maybe two years ago so this era has been over for some time, but I’m just now getting around to offloading it. And in doing so, I was reminded of both how much we accumulated and in how many forms. The Etsy pegdoll form, in which she asked me to give them little matching string scarves; the tiny little ones Molly insisted on painting because she saw it on YouTube; the pirate series; the Patrollers as poofy rubber squishy friends; and so many more. I love how kids get so into these stories and characters, but the merch is overwhelming. Still, I got a teensy emotional clearing it all out. As you may have guessed. . . . . #pawpatrol #cleaninghouse #growingup #etsy #toomuchstuff #growingpains #decluttering #endofanera
The answer when I Googled why I couldn’t see as well. I’m no doctor, but this seems to check out. #googledoc #visionprobs #over40
Somehow this pic disappeared from my feed! I cannot stand for such an injustice. The best breakfast sandwich in Madison must be seen and heralded. Blueberry jalapeño jam?!? Who knew?! @ancorakingst apparently. #madisoneats #sandwiches #breakfastsandwiches #sandwichesofinstagram #sandwichesofwisconsin #sandwichesofmadison #ancoracoffeehouse
The new @ancorakingst is everything. #ancoracoffee #ancorakingst #madisonwi #ancora #ancoramadison #madisoncoffeeshop #kingstreetbusinesses