Will it be Chicago?

I was up around 5 this morning (well, let’s face it, not UP, but awake) and turned to CNN.  I knew the decision was coming soon, but I didn’t realize it would be today!

So, if Chicago gets the Olympics in 2016, lots of biking would be in Madison. I know peeps have mixed feelings on hosting the Olymps because it costs, say, billions and I think some peeps just don’t like having loads of extra people in their town for a few weeks, but I really, really, really hope it happens. I just think it would be super cool. What I don’t think is the coolest thing about it, though, is that I’ll be 41 in 2016.  Not that that’s inherently uncool or anything, but it has given me pause.

So, we’ll know today whether or not there will be an Athlete’s Village in Madison.

UPDATE:  So sad.  Chicago was eliminated in the first round.  Given that there are only four finalists, I’m not clear on why there are rounds, but there you have it. * I had heard that the favorite was Rio.  We’ll see in a moment, I guess.  I’m bummed.  [And, yes, I know South America has waited a long time for the Olympics, but so has Madison…er, well, yeah.  The end.]

* Apparently, the IOC members vote and if there is no majority in the first round, the vote proceeds to a second round and the city with the fewest votes in the first round drops out.  Oh, poor Chicago.

Chicago

Photo courtesy of the Chicago Tribune’s website.  I just love the shocked faces.  I mean, I don’t love that their shocked and sad, but I think the picture is so great; it makes me giggle a little.

Ok, and this really makes me laugh, which I sorely needed as this whole Polanski bonkers bonanza has my blood pressure at record levels.  It also, nicely I think, ties my previous two posts together.  Sorta.

10 Responses to “Will it be Chicago?”

1. 1 Kristin October 2, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Poor Chi-town. Poor Madison. Poor Kate. That would have been so much fun. I could have celebrated my 40th b-day at the Olymics! Eek.

I am happy for Rio though. Honestly, it sounds like a kick-ass place to have the Olympics.

2. 2 Sarayu October 2, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Total bummer. It would’ve been so exciting! I particularly like the sad face of the Asian woman in the pic. It adds another level to all the dropped jaws. 🙂

3. 3 gracieandkate October 2, 2009 at 6:33 pm

Oh! Fee would have come to visit?!?!? Damnit. Seriously — now I’m more upset.

And Sarayu, that’s so funny. She’s Aaron’s favorite, too, but I didn’t even notice her until A pointed her out. I was completely consumed by the utter shock on the center guy’s face…It’s like he’s been told totally IMPOSSIBLE news. “What? Chicago’s been eliminated? Pluto’s not a planet? People are cheering on Roman Polanski? What next??”

4. 4 Sarayu October 5, 2009 at 11:15 am

Um, can you please blog about this whole Letterman extortion scandal thing? I know it’s not pressing news, but I think it’s so bizarre! And, how is it possible that Halderman could plead Not Guilty? He was caught on tape! How could he be innocent?

5. 5 gracieandkate October 5, 2009 at 11:26 am

I will get on that. My mom keeps talking about it. I know it’s weird, but she seems to think it’s the weirdest thing ever.

And not to be all annoying, but everyone pleads not guilty at the initial appearance. He’ll probably plead later on. I don’t think anyone in the history of modern criminal prosecution of felonies has pleaded guilty at their initial appearance.

6. 6 gracieandkate October 5, 2009 at 11:35 am

And I don’t mean that to sound snotty at all. I’m just saying it’s perfectly normal, even when the person is obviously super guilty. Now, what this defense will be that his lawyer is alluding to, is beyond me. I have no clue how they think that they can offer some sort of innocent explanation for what went down.

7. 7 Sarayu October 6, 2009 at 12:01 pm

You’re neither snotty nor annoying, I’m just entirely clueless. That’s something that should be so obvious, I don’t know why I didn’t compute that. How embarrassing.

8. 8 gracieandkate October 6, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Not obvious. Not embarrassing.

9. 9 Heather October 6, 2009 at 3:57 pm

I think really stood out for me in this post. 41 in 2016. whoah.

10. 10 Sarayu October 6, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Yes. 41. I chose to skim right over that. That also does not compute.

October 2009
« Sep   Nov »
18192021222324

Noontime walk. #hellobucky #bascomhall #ineedthosepitzips #sweatyandfreezing #winterinwisconsin #madisonwi
After an extremely long and entertaining (for those over 6) retirement party, my little Bear has crashed with her little bear. . . . I’ve heard through the office grapevine that some peeps don’t think kids should be at events like this. And that’s a legit opinion. But it’s not mine or Aaron’s so I think we should be all good. . . . Retirements are so bittersweet. This one was a doozy. . . . #wisconsin #friends #ourkidcomeswithus #wiscobarkid #bearonbear #workfamily #humility #sincerity #honesty #love #b&w #eyelashes
A series I’m calling An End of a Era: Skye Had a Limit. Truth be told, she ghosted on Skye and the gang maybe two years ago so this era has been over for some time, but I’m just now getting around to offloading it. And in doing so, I was reminded of both how much we accumulated and in how many forms. The Etsy pegdoll form, in which she asked me to give them little matching string scarves; the tiny little ones Molly insisted on painting because she saw it on YouTube; the pirate series; the Patrollers as poofy rubber squishy friends; and so many more. I love how kids get so into these stories and characters, but the merch is overwhelming. Still, I got a teensy emotional clearing it all out. As you may have guessed. . . . . #pawpatrol #cleaninghouse #growingup #etsy #toomuchstuff #growingpains #decluttering #endofanera
The answer when I Googled why I couldn’t see as well. I’m no doctor, but this seems to check out. #googledoc #visionprobs #over40
Somehow this pic disappeared from my feed! I cannot stand for such an injustice. The best breakfast sandwich in Madison must be seen and heralded. Blueberry jalapeño jam?!? Who knew?! @ancorakingst apparently. #madisoneats #sandwiches #breakfastsandwiches #sandwichesofinstagram #sandwichesofwisconsin #sandwichesofmadison #ancoracoffeehouse
The new @ancorakingst is everything. #ancoracoffee #ancorakingst #madisonwi #ancora #ancoramadison #madisoncoffeeshop #kingstreetbusinesses