Desperation

I am using this space to vent.  Bear with me.

I am refinancing my second mortgage from M&I to UWCU because my M&I rate is 6.75% and UWCU will do 4.99% with no closing costs because, it turns out, a second mortgage is actually a home equity loan.  Who knew?  Well, probably everyone but me.  In any event, what was promised me was a seamless, easy process.  What I have gotten so far is anything but.

First, it costs $350 to have the appraisal done.  This is annoying, but fine.  Then, I actually needed to fax back some borrower’s something or other.  Fine.  Then I need my insurance company to get in contact with the credit union to get them the insurance info.  Fine.  I call our condo’s management company and ask them to forward the information.  Fine.  Only, wait, turns out they don’t have that information.  So, American Family, who apparently insures our condo, does have it and they will contact the credit union.  Ok.  Then I come into today to a message from the credit union telling me that I need to call AmFam because they “have some questions for me.”  What kind of questions could there possibly be?  I pay my dues, part of that goes to the insurance, what’s new?  So, I call and Sharon tells me that she needs the “mortgagee clause” from my mortgage company, Bank of America (who holds the first mortgage).  After going around in circles for awhile, I get from her all that she needs is some sort of address/contact info for BoA in the event that something happens to the condo.  Ok.  Apparently, though, AmFam has zero other clients with lowly Bank of America that this information is not available to anyone but me.  So, I log on to BoA’s website and can’t find the information anywhere.  In fact, it takes me forever to get to my own account and I cannot go to “account details” because everytime I click on it, a message comes up saying that my insurance policy expires at the end of the month and I’d better do something about it.  So, I go to the customer service section and call the number for “all mortgages or all states.”  This seems easy enough.   But when I call, I get a prerecorded message that says, “Get a pen and write down this number.  Call Ten Fifteen Fifteen Eight Thousand.”  And it just repeats that over and over.  I hang up and attempt to call this wack-job of a number, but, surprise surprise — it doesn’t work.  So, I go back to the website and try to “chat live.”  Well, after logging in, that feature is not available right now.  So, I find some other telephone number to call and after going through the motions (one for English, any other number not to talk about some fun promo they have going on, etc.), I am asked to enter my account number (which I cannot get to because of the previously mentioned insurance message prohibiting me from seeing anything resembling a detail on my account) or my social security number.  Hooray!  Well, of course I know that.  So, I enter it.  Three different times because I am continually told that it is “invalid.”  Yes, invalid.  After I use up my alloted attempts, I am asked if I would like to speak to a customer service representative.  Yes, please.  As I await transfer, a recorded message comes on that says, “I’m sorry, we’re now closed.”  And then I am hung up on.

And people complain about government.  I’m just saying, from where I sit, giant private corporations are pretty &^%#( frustrating.

On a positive note, I’ve had nothing but excellent, excellent customer service from CB2.  New table comes tomorrow!

14 Responses to “Desperation”

1. 1 gwendolyngarden November 12, 2009 at 11:21 am

Yikes. Very craptastic. BoA (formerly Countrywide) is frustrating. Last year they kept telling me that my homeowners insurance wasn’t paid- which was ridiculous. Turns out insurance company was sending my mortgage details to someone in Nebraska for no apparent reason. Poor bastard probably opens his mail and is like “who is this broad and why do I care that she’s paid her homeowner’s insurance?”

2. 2 Kristin November 12, 2009 at 11:53 am

I had a similar experience (albeit not related to anything as important as a mortgage) with the Symantec anti-virus people over the summer. I spent three hours on the phone to get them to reactivate my Norton which I knew did not expire until November. My computer had broken in January so I had a new one, and I was NOT paying again. After several people and lots of rigamarole I won. Then my computer got stolen last month. Oh well! You can’t win.

So I sort of agree about the private companies versus the government. Although I’m not sure about that when it comes to the Dept of Labor. Eek. Flashbacks.

3. 3 gracieandkate November 12, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Yeah, I’m not necessarily saying the Gov is better…Just that everyone sucks. Hee hee.

4. 5 gracieandkate November 12, 2009 at 2:47 pm

And I’m really not trying to be an ass about the government/private enterprise thing. I really like private stuff — I do! I consume lots and lots of stuff. I am just annoyed with all of the Ayn Rand-ian crap and am lashing out. Thanks for listening.

5. 6 Kristin November 12, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Socialista.

6. 7 kateandgracie November 12, 2009 at 8:31 pm

According to Harper’s Index, only 3% of those injured by medical malpractice file malpractice claims. Hmm.

I think I want a white iPhone.

7. 8 Sara H November 13, 2009 at 9:37 am

Fax? How did you manage to fax anything? I got a fax yesterday, it was the first fax I’ve had in a darn long while. 🙂 I didn’t know people did that any more.

3 hours sounds about like what my husband spend on the phone with the McAfee antivirus people a couple weeks ago, trying to get protection for 3 computers. Apparently very difficult. I honestly don’t understand why it is so difficult to have a well-run customer service department.

8. 9 Kristin November 13, 2009 at 11:12 am

Sara – yes, that is exactly what happened. The virus protection package I bought was for three computers and I was on my second and it took me foreeever (OK, two or three hours) to get my second computer authorized. Ugh.

9. 10 gracieandkate November 13, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Lame. I know — about the fax, someone else was saying that recently. We have a fax at work. I know I shouldn’t be using it, but honestly — where else am I going to find a fax machine? I’d be happy to pay for it. They should have a little tin can collecting change next to it. It takes FOREVER to fax, too. I thought about scanning it and emailing it, but she specifically said fax, so that’s what I went with.

Speaking of, though…I have not heard back. The appraiser came on Wednesday (she looked a little nonplussed as she looked around) so I should have heard by now, I’d think…

Oh well. Cheerio! Off to a lovely union board meeting.

10. 11 kateandgracie November 13, 2009 at 5:54 pm

Ohmygoodness, I LOVE my new table. Hooray!

11. 12 Jane November 13, 2009 at 9:15 pm

This is why God created gin. Just reading your experience made me crazy. It just shouldn’t be that hard, but somehow it always is.

12. 13 kateandgracie November 14, 2009 at 12:17 am

Oh! And update: today they say, well the appraisal isn’t whatever percentage they want it to be so, for the $43k I owe on the second mortgage (a lot, granted, but less than what some, admittedly rich, people pay for a car — or, actually, what is considered the mid-range kitchen remodel for normal peeps) they will be kind enough to refinance for me, but instead of the 4.99% they were offering, they’ll kindly do it for 7.99%. Um, no thanks. I’m no mathemagician, but that’s higher than the 6.75% I’m already paying.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Gin, please.

13. 14 kateandgracie November 14, 2009 at 12:19 am

Which also means I am out the $350 the lady spent “appraising” my place. She spent maybe 10 minutes here and just asked if we’d made any improvements. Why should that even matter? Look at the comps and what stuff is selling for, look at our place as is and see where it fits in…If I told you we spent $15k on the crappy kitchen we have, would our place be worth more? Or less because we clearly put in a dumb kitchen.