WWJS

We are nearing the end of the traditional holiday season and I am sad to see it go.  Not because I haven’t had enough Christmas time, or enough good food and drink, or even enough time with my lovely Christmas tree with all its sparkly lights and the warm feeling it brings me.  Between you and me, I’m not exactly not looking forward to putting it out on the street this weekend.  You can’t really argue with the facts that it is a bit messy and crowded sticking a big pine tree in your living room.  And, of course, I am my mother’s daughter and my mother pretty much always wanted to stick the thing out on the curb late on Christmas morning.  Ok, now back to why I am saddened about the end of the season: I haven’t seen nearly as many movies as I’d like.  Christmas time means Movie Time!  There are always a million that seem to come out this time of year and, living in Wisco as I do, the holiday movie season starts later and ends later than it does in other parts of the civilized world.  What this means in reality is that I feel behind before movies have even arrived in town.  For example, Sarayu saw Up In the Air at least a month ago, it seems, whereas I saw it just this afternoon.  Sigh.  I am so behind, in fact, that I just saw Julie & Julia this week.  Geesh, Kate.  Get it together.

I wonder if Jesus would have been a movie fan.  I think so.  He seemed to like a good story-telling and what better way to connect with your fellow man than to sit in a crowded, dark theater watching someone’s story unfold in a gigantic way just a few feet away from you.  I wonder what he would want to see this season.  Since I really have no idea, I’ll set out my list instead of speculating on his.

Up In the Air … Check!  Done.  And I really, really liked it.  I’m not saying it’s Best Picture quality movie, but I think it’s damn close.  It’s at once a unique, fresh story that has conventional plot lines and ideas.  Sort of the best of both worlds as far as I’m concerned.  Afterall, there’s a reason we return to convention (sometimes rudely billed ‘cliches’).  It’s comforting.  And as much as Up In the Air is uncomfortable — all that plane travel!  the lack of real intimacy, the supreme attractiveness of Clooney and Farmiga — there is so much that is achingly familiar.  The wedding scene felt so real I could hardly contain the tears of joy streaming down my face.  Ok, I couldn’t control them.  I very much recommend this movie.

Invictus.

Nine.

Sherlock Holmes (maybe).

It’s Complicated.

An Education.

Also, I saw two previews today for movies that aren’t coming out for a bit but will, no doubt, be given some Oscar buzz.  Actually, I’m sure they already have generated some but, see above, we don’t always get that news in time, either.  Or, more accurately, we might get the news but it doesn’t always register when it’s for a movie you can’t remember the name of because it won’t be in town for a couple of months.  One was A Single Man with Colin Firth and Julianne Moore.  It seems very Mad Men period-esque, but I really have no idea what it’s about.  The preview was lovely, but it was only music and images, ie no dialogue at all.  It gave me the impression, though, that it would be a movie that would make me quite uncomfortable in a Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf way.  The second was Shutter Island.  Martin Scorsese + Leonardo DiCaprio + mental patients + an island + possible ghosts = I’m intrigued.  Frightened, but intrigued.

What are you seeing?

10 Responses to “WWJS”

1. 1 Sarayu December 29, 2009 at 9:07 pm

I actually think you’re pretty on top of the movie sitch. I mean, half the time you’re the one telling me what’s out. A Single Man is proof of this.

As for Up in the Air, as we’ve discussed, I adored it. It was thoroughly enjoyable and the acting was all around excellent. I cannot wait for you to see Invictus. I thought it was good, not great. The acting, however, was once again brilliant.

I haven’t seen Nine or Holmes yet but I’ve heard terrible things about both which saddens me. I saw “Avatar,” (I know it’s not on your list but I had to because Dileep is in it) and I thought it was fine. I know many peeps were blown away by it, but I thought it was fine. It’s just not my style of movie, but it was certainly beautiful and technologically amazing.

I LOVED It’s Complicated, mostly because it really shows just how complicated it really is. Once again, superb acting, and just so.. adult. It was all just handled so so well. And I do love me some Meryl, some Alec and good ole’ Steve. And let’s not forget the love of my life, John Krasinski. Adorable.

I’m glad you reminded me of An Education. I’ve heard it’s wonderful.

You know I will not be seeinf Shutter Island, so I’ll leave that to you.

I totally think Jesus would be into the movies. Brilliant.

Oh, and I’m really over Amy Adams these days. I know that most people love her. I just don’t. I’m sorry. Don’t be mad. Hee hee.

2. 2 Sarayu December 29, 2009 at 9:13 pm

I wish I could edit my comments after writing them. I was just so excited to write and look what happened. So much unnecessary repetition of words and misspelling? Mortified. Let’s pretend I wrote that drunk. Thank you.

3. 3 gracieandkate December 30, 2009 at 6:05 am

You’re dumb.

4. 4 gracieandkate December 30, 2009 at 6:10 am

Haha. I meant that only in response to your worry about your spelling. Puh-lease. How’s that for a spelling mishap? Here’s my rule on spelling: generally speaking, who cares. I hate, though, misspellings that are a result of poor observation. Like, if I have a store called Your Mama’s and you repeatedly refer to it as Your Momma’s, that’s going to bug me. Why do you not notice my choice of spelling? Feels somehow rude.

5. 5 gracieandkate December 30, 2009 at 6:11 am

Now I’m dumb, I know.

6. 6 Mary December 30, 2009 at 3:29 pm

I loved Up In The Air and An Education. Going to see It’s Complicated tomorrow night….then to dinner and to the fabulous party at Kate’s.

7. 7 Keyes December 31, 2009 at 1:07 pm

For the first time EVER, I have seen a movie before Kate*–and am commenting so that this can be noted for the record AND so that I can highly recommend A Single Man. I thought it was beautiful–the characters, the sets, and the story. I loved it. I may even see it again. I knew nothing about Tom Ford (or really any designers) but now I’m going to learn about them/him. I thought this was everything a movie should be.

*not the feat it once was I realize, considering my present abode, but, technically I live in Hoboken, and (kind of like Bemidji, Mlada Boleslav, Turkmenabat, etc.) NJ always gets a pass right?

Happy New Year Kate and Kate’s friends!

8. 8 gracieandkate January 1, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Keyes! Oh, how I miss you. How was your visit with Lauren? I’m so glad to hear your review of A Single Man — I’m really encouraged. I still don’t think it’ll be here for awhile, which is ok because I have lots of others on my list. And I’m embarrassed to say I had no idea it was about Tom Ford. Though I’m only partially embarrassed because I think if most of you saw the preview I saw and had never heard of the movie, you might not know, either. Unless Tom Ford looks exactly like Colin Firth and had a wife who looked/looks just like Julianne Moore. Ok, I better stop before I embarrass myself further. Onto a new post…

9. 9 Keyes January 4, 2010 at 10:28 am

Oop! It’s not about Tom Ford–I wrote that wrong. Tom Ford “just” directed it. I meant that the movie made me feel like Tom Ford must be really REALLY talented and that I should therefore check out other things he’s done/designed/created.

Can’t believe I botched my first review!

The time with Lauren (and her family) was great.

10. 10 gracieandkate January 4, 2010 at 11:20 am

No, I botched it! I had no idea he directed it! Wow. Very embarrassed. Would delete the whole thing, but I’m moving on…