Light bright

My prayers have been answered!  The old, nasty, long, fluorescent light fixture that I barely tolerated (but never used) for almost five years has been replaced by a lovely, unobstrusive, plump and round, soft-white bulb-taking fixture.  I am elated.  I’m not completely in love with the new light, but I think I’m in love with it as much as can be, considering  top lights and I are generally enemies.

Let there be (soft and nice) light!

As you can see, this means that the ceiling is going to have to be painted.  But not today.  Today we are painting the walls.  And tomorrow the cabinets (well, most of them) will be installed!

Oh!  And I was right to worry about the appliances.  Or, rather, I was right that it wouldn’t work out.  Appliances can be delivered to the garage for $30 (what we paid), but it costs an additional $39 to put them in the house.  Who knew?  Especially since it was way more difficult for them to put the goods in the garage — the dude slipped on the ice while toting the fridge on the dolly and he went down — than it would have been to drop them in the condo.  We didn’t really understand this (yes, we both have a couple degrees in higher education) at the time we purchased the stuff.  We thought the extra money was for installation (and it actually is) that we didn’t need because we’re already paying for it with our other contracted stuff.  But, last night we thought we’d ditch the fridge (having been told the $30 delivery fee included a one-for-one swap) — instead of moving it downstairs — but no dice.  Because we had not moved it to the garage, they would not take it.  So, the old stove is gone because we managed (barely) to move it to the garage last night.  I will spare you the gross details of that adventure.  I will say, though, that the nasty patch of ice on our sidewalk I normally worry that I’ll take a dive on came in quite handy for scooting the stove for a bit.  New stove and new refridgerator are in the garage and we’re unsure how, when or if they’ll make it into the house.  We carried the dishwasher in together, which wasn’t pretty.  Aaron carried the microwave in all by himself, which was super pretty, of course.

Too much information on kitchen remodel?  Let me know.

6 Responses to “Light bright”

1. 1 Jane January 22, 2010 at 8:45 am

So where’s the old refrigerator? I don’t want to scare you but this sounds like you’re deeply mired in a catch 22 and you know what that means:-(

2. 2 gracieandkate January 22, 2010 at 9:59 am

Hee hee. No, the old fridge is still in its place. What’s annoying is that I keep going to the kitchen to use the sink. What? There’s no sink. There’s nothing. Nothing in the kitchen but my new light and the old fridge.

3. 3 gracieandkate January 22, 2010 at 10:00 am

And how is anything about Wilco a possibly related post?

4. 4 gwendolyngarden January 22, 2010 at 10:21 am

I love as much about kitchens as you care to tell us. I know you don’t know but why in the Lord’s name would it cost an extra $39 to deliver it to the house? That is CRAZY. Who’d a thunk it?

Good choice on the light by the way. And good luck with the painting.

5. 5 Mary January 22, 2010 at 3:51 pm

very nice light. does that mean you are keeping old fridge?

6. 6 Sarayu January 22, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Dear God, my whole body hurts from just reading about how many appliances you two had to move on your own. I still can’t get over the stupidity of the delivery fees, particularly as you said because the garage ended up a far more challenging maneuver. If you’re going to charge extra, at least charge based on difficulty of location.

The soft lighting is so pretty. I too hate overhead lights, but that one really is so very lovely.

I can’t wait to see the new cabinets! Keep posting!