Resignation 101

Well, it’s not REALLY a resignation; it’s just a letter of intent not to run again.  And here it is.  I am soooooooooooooo relieved.

Hi all,

The annual election for WSAA board members is coming up quickly – the meeting will be held sometime in June.  My seat – a DOJ-only post – is up.  I just wanted to give advance notice that I will not be seeking another term.  While it had never been my intention to do so, it has been made all the more clear to me lately that I cannot continue to serve.  I am fairly proud of the work I have done.  I have tried to be reasonable and cordial, rational and considerate.  I was successful in moving the meetings from the Madison Club to the Hilton, which saves the WSAA a lot of money annually.  I created and have run the WSAA’s website, which is far more workable than its predecessor.  I brought my perspective as a lower-paid attorney (and the lowest earning member of the Board) to the table and fought my hardest to do what I thought necessary to protect jobs.  I argued against raising dues in an era of furloughs.  I think I was quite vocal and stood up for my beliefs.  Unfortunately, this often results in name-calling and condescension and ire from members, as well as board members.  Ultimately, this is why I am not running again.

I learned a lot and I encourage anyone – particularly those who have not previously done so – to run for the board.  I learned that, despite what we may sometimes think, we are lucky to work at DOJ, an agency that usually operates rationally and treats its employees with respect and recognizes them as professionals.  Unfortunately, when it comes to state agencies, this seems to be more the exception than the rule.  Although I do encourage any of you to run, I caution you that the task is not for the overly sensitive (like me) or for those who shy away from conflict.  It can get contentious and mean.  Passions run high and disagreements are frequent.  There is very little (positive) recognition for the work that you do.  That said, I think the WSAA serves a vital function and hope that whoever next takes the reins will serve with the knowledge that their task is important and that I, for one, am greatly appreciative of their work.

Thanks for allowing me to serve my term,

Kate

I have received some gracious emails and a nice phone call from a fellow board member, telling me he was shocked by my decision and disappointed as I am the only rational one on the board.  That was nice to hear.  Anyway, as I said, I’m relieved.  I wish I could continue to serve, but that I could pick the people who served along with me.  Unfortunately, though, I don’t think anyone would go for that.  Another chapter is coming to a close.  Goodbye, useless stress and anger from the WSAA board!

9 Responses to “Resignation 101”

1. 1 Keyes March 24, 2010 at 3:01 pm

How well-stated and professional!

This is why you, Kate Lloyd, were chosen to be (and remain, because I have never allowed you the opportunity to ‘not seek another term’) my advisor.

2. 2 Mary March 24, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Well it is sad that the board will lose you but you are right. You do not need the stress. Pick an avenue where people are treated with respect.

3. 3 Gretchen March 25, 2010 at 12:01 am

Good for you, and well said! It’s so unfortunate that so many Board/volunteer experiences turn out this way . . .

4. 4 Sara March 25, 2010 at 9:02 am

Awesome. Sometimes, that garden of life just needs a little weeding…. 🙂

5. 5 Raoser March 26, 2010 at 11:04 am

I’m not surprised to hear you’ve gotten calls and e-mails from people that are disappointed with your decision. They were lucky to have you and they’ll be a lesser board without you, but maybe if some of those same people had actually stood up for/ with you, you wouldn’t be in this position.

Also, I do not think you are over-sensitive, so much as they are jerkstores.

I’m so happy to hear you’re choosing self-preservation. Well done.

6. 6 Kristin March 26, 2010 at 6:25 pm

I am still getting over not being able to read your blog at work. Ugh. Sorry I haven’t weighed in. I think you made the right decision and I’m proud of you. It’s an overused concept or phrase I know, but you just don’t need the negative energy.

Now speaking of negative energy, can we talk about RHWoNYC? Wowzers.

7. 7 gracieandkate March 26, 2010 at 8:37 pm

RHoNYC is bonkers!!!! Also, did everyone see Keyes’ apartment on craigslist!? It’s gorgeous! Love the style & the whole deal. She’s moving to Prague. I sure hope wordpress isn’t banned there.

8. 8 Kristin March 26, 2010 at 11:23 pm

I cannot decide who is crazier. OK, yes I can. Ramona. Hands down. Jill and Bethenny make me sad and I blame LuAnn for their rift continuing. I like Alex more and more.

I need to check out Keyes’ apartment listing. Maybe I should move to Hoboken. This apartment search is super annoying.

9. 9 Keyes March 29, 2010 at 9:37 am

I wouldn’t be moving to Prague if kateandgracie.com was banned there.

Kate–thanks for the press (you are great!).

Kristin–Hoboken is pretty fun! And I don’t think anyone has rented my apartment yet…