Le Shopping

Today we got up early (couldn’t sleep) and hit Portobello Market, which is on Portobello Road just about two blocks from our flat. Portobello Road has tons of shops and is famous for antiques. On Saturdays, it becomes a market with tons of food vendors, vegetable and fish sellers and booths with everything from sterling silver teapots to bolts of fabric to doorknobs to little army men figurines. There were leather boxing gloves and old rugby balls and costume jewelry galore. We had read the place starts up at 5:30 am so we were surprised that when we arrived at 8:00 am the place was still in its set-up stage. Still, we had a fun time and by the time we walked the length of it and turned around things were pretty much buzzing and we found some fun gifts.

6 Responses to “Le Shopping”

1. 1 Terry May 8, 2010 at 9:48 am

Scones and clotted cream–I know how you feel about most things white but you must try this. And put some milk in your hot tea. Delicious. Really. Go somewhere for high tea and you’ll be amazed.

2. 2 Raoser May 8, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I love scones and clotted cream so much. You might want to get some Indian food while you’re there too. After all, if there’s one thing those Brits have a handle on, it’s Indian culture. Ha. But seriously, the Indian food there is really good.

3. 3 Mary May 8, 2010 at 2:02 pm

High tea would be so fu. I always wanted to do that. Sounds like you are doing alot.Sorry bout the sleep issues. Looking forward to these everyday. And thank you for the beautiful flowers. Love you guys.

4. 4 gracieandkate May 8, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Let’s face it folks, clotted cream is not going to happen. We had yummy Chinese food in Bayswater tonight (the neighborhood next to ours-just a super pleasant stroll away). I have Indian take away plotted out for tomorrow. We’ve got a busy day tomorrow!

5. 5 Jane Roe May 8, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Steve introduced me to clotted cream and scones in Wales and Ireland. It was wonderful even though it wasn’t normally my kind of thing. I loved having tea with Steve and Terry. If at all possible, you must give it a try.

6. 6 gwendolyngarden May 10, 2010 at 9:41 am

even I don’t like clotted cream, so I don’t blame you Kate. But I do love curry. I’ve always wanted to go to Portabello road. Costume Jewelry! I’ve just bought a piece of costume jewelry for myself in Chicago because rules are made to be broken! Hope you bought something for yourself!