It might be spring

It’s possible that it’s spring, but the signs are very confusing. For example, there is this:

Backyard snow, April 20, 2011

On the other hand, there is this:

Gracie with snow-surviving flowers

This week marks the first Wednesday Martin Luther King, Jr Blvd farmers’ market of the season! It’s always a small affair, but this year’s appeared smaller than usual due (I suspect) to yesterday’s craptastic snow/hail/sleet/rain storm, as well as today’s chilly weather. Still, there were some hardy souls.

First Wednesday Farmers' Market 2011

There was a wee bit of a green. And I mean a wee bit. One of the six stands was selling greenery – some tasty looking spring salad mix, which we bought. It warmed my heart to see. We gravitated toward it. And we weren’t the only ones — the proprietor told us someone had seen the salad from her office in the city/county building and come down to look and said, “I spotted green!” It’s a welcome sight.

Early spring greens

Aaron bought delicious cheese curds, as well, but the most noteworthy stand for me was the Jamie’s and Son dessert stand. Jamie’s used to be a cookie shop on State Street that served the world’s most delicious cookies. It’s been closed for a number of years (update: apparently it closed in 2007 — I had thought it was earlier), so I was heartened to see this apparent revival. The stand today didn’t appear to be selling cookies, but I’m keeping my eye on this one.

Revival of the great Jamie's cookie?

In sum, as I’ve said a million times, I heart Wisconsin.

9 Responses to “It might be spring”

1. 1 Sara H April 21, 2011 at 8:52 am

You have the most photogenic dog. As usual, love the springy header photo.

I have to say, I wimped out at the market yesterday. I was so looking forward to it, and I wandered that direction on my way into the office, hoping I’d be able to get some hot spicy cheesy bread. I could see I would have no such luck, so I didn’t even walk all the way down to MLK. Hopefully next Wednesday there will be lots of vendors and patrons! I’ll have to get some salad greens! I have missed the Wednesday market.

2. 2 kateandgracie April 21, 2011 at 10:16 am

Aw, thanks! I feel like she really loves the camera.

Well, as you can see from the photos, you didn’t miss much. It was pretty sad.

It’s so sunny today! Here’s hoping for a better turnout next week!

3. 3 Terry April 21, 2011 at 9:18 pm

As I recall, isn’t this the time of year when Aaron begins dreaming about ramps?

4. 4 Mary Lloyd April 22, 2011 at 9:45 am

I so love your pics. They make me smile. Never really get up to the market on Wed but like the Sat in Spring cuz it is not so crowded.

5. 5 Mary Lloyd April 22, 2011 at 9:47 am

BTW Gracie is a wannabe movie dog!

6. 6 kateandgracie April 22, 2011 at 10:14 am

Gracie totally wants to be a movie star.

And T, you are correct! AO and I took a walk a couple of weeks ago through Hoyt Park and he spotted some junior ramps and was so excited. I am going to Vegas next weekend and he is all excited to go ramp and morel hunting. I have heard the words ‘ramp’ and ‘morel’ at least once a day for the past couple of weeks.

7. 7 Terry April 22, 2011 at 5:09 pm

I will begin showing Bally pictures of morels and ramps so she can help with hunting. She so wants to help her idol, Aaron, with these things. I am, as I write, sitting on a patio overlooking the Gulf in Ft. Myers, having some wine and waiting for dinner–without any ramps I am afraid. My winter coat awaits in the back seat of the rental car…

8. 8 Raoser April 23, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Jamie’s cookies!!! You’ll have to let me know if the cookies pop up. That peanut butter-chocolate chip number was no joke. I don’t know how I’ll be able to address much else because that cookie is all I can think about now but I’ll do my best.

Ok, Gracie is absolutely the most photogenic dog ever. She loves the camera and the camera loves her back!

I want Spring to come for you sooner than later. I also want you to visit sooner than later. I may have already mentioned that a few hundred times so I’ll stop… for today.

9. 9 Jane Roe April 26, 2011 at 8:15 am

April 26th and they are AGAIN predicting snow for my neck of the woods! When will it ever end? Showed Shannon and Maddie their photogenic cousin. Shannon yawned and went back to sleep. I guess that’s how much she cares now that she is almost 12. Maddie, however, seems to think that she has a chance to be a star like her cousin if I ever stop taking her for those awful haircuts that make her look so very ugly. BTW tell Aaron that people hunt for mushrooms in the woods just down the road from my house. Maybe you should visit. Hint, hint.

April 2011
« Mar   May »
17181920212223

This photo doesn’t wholly capture how annoying it was to put up with this medicine cabinet for four years. It infringed on the already tiny amount of space we had in our en-suite bath. So, on Friday, something amazing happened. #recessthatcabinet #brassisback #allthingsbrass #potterybarn #bathroomupgrade #happyinteriors
Aaron as hodag. #hodag #hodaginmadison #publicart #rhinelandercreature #madisonmakingsmiles #madisonwi #cityofmadison
I did not see this one coming. # # # I said something about how he should knock off the bananas #Brewers insults and he shot back . . . with this. #milwaukeebrewers #gobrewers #turninguptheheat #wisconsin #sconnielove #katokaelinblockedme #katokaelin #blockedontwitter
Miss you, Dad. #oneyear
Go Brewers!! #gobrewers #mylittlebrewer #turninguptheheat #gamefour #milwaukeebrewers #sconniefans #MILvLAD⚾️
There was a day when she learned to #dab and she didn’t tell me. And she just pulled it out at some friends’ house one night, like it was the most natural thing. And while I couldn’t stop laughing, I realized I was witnessing another example of what will be only more big steps away from me and the life I thought the three of us had together. And I know that is beautiful and how it should be. But catching myself, watching that moment, finding it in a photograph? It takes my breath away at how fleeting and transient and amazing this all is. Molly, you are my #everything. I’m better because of you. Being your mom is the best thing that has ever happened to me. By far. And I lived in Italy! #parenting #whyivoteblue #fallinwisconsin #moments #passageoftime #itgoestoofast