Pictures

I remember when I was a kid, I really liked looking through my parents’ wedding album, which was kept under the living room loveseat. Hmm. That seems strange now that I think about it. Why wasn’t it on a shelf? I have no idea. Mom, care to clue me in? Anyway, that album is the only family album I remember. We had boxes and boxes of slides, though no slide machine on which to show them. Instead, when I wanted to look at old pictures, I took out the slides and held them up to the light. This wasn’t very satisfying. When I got a camera, I stuck my photos beneath the plastic sleeves of crappy drugstore photo albums. I didn’t have a lot of these albums because the whole enterprise was deeply unsatisfying. Almost every single one of my photos was out of focus and far from level. Often it was unclear what I had intended to take a picture of. Was I trying to take a picture of the upper half of the boathouse door or my friends standing to the left of it? No one will ever know. And the albums themselves were terrible because they just had one big sheet of plastic paper on each page so the photos never stayed put and, with the photos at odd angles and underneath one another, they made my pictures look even crummier. Egads. I cringe when I think about those albums.

Today, though, things are a little better. Ever since the digital camera came into my life, I’ve pretty much loved taking pictures. I’m still not particularly good at it – I don’t really even understand how a camera works – but digital cameras make it possible for unskilled ignoramuses to get off a good shot once in awhile. And iPhoto and the like make it possible to level out my crooked pictures. In the past, I printed just the photos I thought I’d want to frame so my orders from Snapfish were always for just a couple of photos at a time. I haven’t bought a photo album in years. But now that I have a baby sweet potato, I think I’m going to change that. I registered for some photo albums and we got a few at our showers. I have started slowly with this new endeavor: I ordered copies of all of the photos the hospital photographer took. A couple went into frames, but the rest went into a photo album! As long as that album stays safe — and it’s on a shelf, not under the couch — Molly will be able to page through it some day, giving her the opportunity to see her very first moments. I think that I should do the same thing with our wedding photos and maybe even our honeymoon. And maybe that trip to London and Malta we took. And maybe our family vacations to Presque Isle. I think if I were Molly, I might want to be able to page through pictures of my parents’ lives before I came along and changed everything.

8 Responses to “Pictures”

1. 1 Maggie April 19, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I agree, you should make lots of albums! OR you could make scrapbooks…I’ve been doing that for all our trips we take (but I also have a lot of albums for the random pictures as well). Molly will love looking at them when she gets older. Lilly started really liking looking at pictures around 3 and will now go through each album and ask us to explain who each person is and what we were doing. Love you, can’t wait to see you guys a week!

2. 2 kateandgracie April 19, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Ooo – excellent! Good to know — so I have just under three years to make my dream a reality. I want to see your scrapbooks — they always sound like a great idea but I have no idea how to really do them. Do you buy crazy stamps and stickers and glue sticks? I remember about ten years ago when my mom pretended she was going to be a scrapper … ha! That image still makes me laugh.

3. 3 Sara H April 20, 2012 at 8:51 am

Kate, all the family photos at my house were stored under the couch. I never really questioned it, but there you have it.

You’re so good! I have a giant pile of stuff for albums/scrapbooks (I can’t seem to throw out any greeting cards!) sitting there, waiting, and I continue to see cute pinterest ideas. I’m not a scrapper, though, which I think is what is making me fail to get started.

4. 4 kateandgracie April 20, 2012 at 10:44 am

Yeah, I never know what to do with cards…I have saved a few, but most went in the recycling bin. As much as I appreciate them, it stresses me out to keep stuff around like that. That’s why I want to have albums before I even have pictures so that there’s someplace for them to go.

Maybe I’ll have to rethink the whole album-on-a-shelf idea and look into stashing them under furniture.

5. 5 Kristin April 20, 2012 at 10:45 am

All the pictures my parents took from the time they were married were in a big Playskool block box under the coffee table the whole time we lived in Staten Island. I used to love to take it out look through all of them. Just a few years ago my dad started putting them into albums, but I sure do miss looking through that Playskool box.

6. 6 kateandgracie April 20, 2012 at 12:19 pm

That’s such a sweet image. And a great idea!

7. 7 Jane Roe April 21, 2012 at 7:47 am

A slight spiral on the theme, but the other day I came across a booklet of poems that you wrote and illustrated for me. I didn’t even realize that I had it and now I will keep it so that Molly can see the lovely work her mother did when she was a little girl.

8. 8 satcla April 24, 2012 at 8:20 am

I always loved looking at photo albums too. I still do. I think having something like that for Molly to look through someday is a brilliant idea. It’s actually the part of digital photography that makes me sad because I never take the time to get things printed up and more. I really should though. It’s so wonderful to look back and see who knew you, who you knew, what you were wearing, what your parents were wearing. I love looking at old photos of my parents the most. I feel like I see sides of them shine through that I never saw before because I was too busy being a kid and looking at them as parents.