Bathroom 2.0

In reinventing our entire home (at least it felt that way), one of the priorities was redoing the downstairs bathroom. It really wasn’t that bad, but if it was going to become our main bathroom (which it was and now is) I really wanted some updates. Number one (no pun intended) necessary new item was a toilet. I swear the old one was about six thousand gallons per flush. I also wanted tile flooring (it had vinyl tile) and a new sink. Oh, and a tiled shower. Eeks! I didn’t think this was too crazy, but the contractor we had do some things for us insisted that we did not want a tiled floor or a tiled shower. We didn’t? I really thought we did. Hmm. Upon hearing this, my mom insisted we head out to Nonn’s to see whether they believed us when we said we wanted things tiled. They did. Thanks mom! They took my credit card number and the rest is history.

I took crappy before shots and my after shots aren’t great, either. It’s a small space so it’s kinda hard to photograph. I think you get the sense of the thing, though.

Old toilet and toilet paper holder

Old toilet and old toilet paper holder

New toilet

New toilet!

Toilet paper holder

Thanks to Home Depot for the awesome new (and so easy to use) toilet paper holder! Why companies make such craptastically hard-to-use models is beyond me.

I think you get a pretty decent sense of the flooring difference in the above photos, too. Vinyl versus tile. Though our contractor guy insisted “they make really beautiful vinyl these days,” I have to disagree. I’m not against vinyl as an immutable rule, but geesh: it can’t compare to tile in a bath. Plus, because the bath is teeny it seemed the one place in the house we could probably afford to tile. Alright, what’s next? Ah! The shower! There wasn’t really anything wrong with the previous shower stall, but it just wasn’t very welcoming. And as someone who already showers a lot less frequently than she should, I didn’t need yet another excuse not to rinse off. [I had never showered in the downstairs bath — that’s seven years of avoidance — until we got the new shower.]

Shower stall

The previous shower stall

One of the loves of my life: white subway tile

Shower stuff

And let’s have one more, shall we?

From the doorway

And let’s look at some sink-on-sink action:

A very loft-vibe with its exposed piping

And the pedestal sink with its pipes covered up like the Puritan it is

What else? Well, I kinda wanted to glam the space up. I suspected divorce could be in my future if I asked Aaron to paint again, so we kept the wall color (which I actually like even more now), and I just added some bling with chrome-y accessories and some cleanliness with white, ceramic toiletry necessities.

Glass shelf with what-nots

Storage

Deer head

That last piece was just added tonight (it cost me $20, but honestly I think it’s my favorite thing in the room after the tile). We’re still waiting on one light fixture, and we need a little caulk here and there, but this is pretty much our new bathroom. I really hope you like it.

8 Responses to “Bathroom 2.0”

1. 1 Jane Roe August 15, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Looks lovely. Aren’t new bathrooms exciting? Wonder why no tile? Too cold? Silly contractor! I’m glad you stuck to your guns.

2. 2 kateandgracie August 15, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Thanks! The contractor dude just clearly did not want to tile. I was nervous to address with him that I had gone to Nonn’s. I was worried he would think I was cheating on him. When I sheepishly told him about my infidelity, he asked me what they had quoted me. When I told him, he said, “Well, that’s not the price with labor.” When I told him it was, he said, “Wow! That’s great! Let’s have them do it.” And so we did.

3. 3 Tammy August 15, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Nice bath! We did ours last year and I still think we should invite people over just to use it – it’s beautiful!

4. 4 kateandgracie August 16, 2012 at 10:21 am

Ooo! Is that an invitation, Tammy!?! I’d love to come see it!

5. 5 Mary Lloyd August 16, 2012 at 11:24 am

I love it. And I intend to use it when I am over.

6. 6 kateandgracie August 16, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Also, please let me point out – because it’s driving me crazy – that the hot & cold faucet pictures do not look crooked in person. I stared at them this morning to try to figure out what was going on. They looked pretty much fine. It’s really hard to hang things straight when you’re hanging multiples in a row. Unfortunately for me, hanging multiples in a row is one of my favorite looks.

7. 7 Sara H August 17, 2012 at 8:45 am

Love the new bath! And that wall color looks stunning with the improvements you’ve made – so classy!

8. 8 satcla August 17, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I LOOOOOOOOOOVE!!! First of all there is nothing more beautiful than tile. Second, that bathroom is GORGEOUS!!! The faucet pics? Genius! It’s just plain beautiful. You’re really making me want to come invade your home again, you know.

August 2012
« Jul   Sep »
19202122232425

Noontime walk. #hellobucky #bascomhall #ineedthosepitzips #sweatyandfreezing #winterinwisconsin #madisonwi
After an extremely long and entertaining (for those over 6) retirement party, my little Bear has crashed with her little bear. . . . I’ve heard through the office grapevine that some peeps don’t think kids should be at events like this. And that’s a legit opinion. But it’s not mine or Aaron’s so I think we should be all good. . . . Retirements are so bittersweet. This one was a doozy. . . . #wisconsin #friends #ourkidcomeswithus #wiscobarkid #bearonbear #workfamily #humility #sincerity #honesty #love #b&w #eyelashes
A series I’m calling An End of a Era: Skye Had a Limit. Truth be told, she ghosted on Skye and the gang maybe two years ago so this era has been over for some time, but I’m just now getting around to offloading it. And in doing so, I was reminded of both how much we accumulated and in how many forms. The Etsy pegdoll form, in which she asked me to give them little matching string scarves; the tiny little ones Molly insisted on painting because she saw it on YouTube; the pirate series; the Patrollers as poofy rubber squishy friends; and so many more. I love how kids get so into these stories and characters, but the merch is overwhelming. Still, I got a teensy emotional clearing it all out. As you may have guessed. . . . . #pawpatrol #cleaninghouse #growingup #etsy #toomuchstuff #growingpains #decluttering #endofanera
The answer when I Googled why I couldn’t see as well. I’m no doctor, but this seems to check out. #googledoc #visionprobs #over40
Somehow this pic disappeared from my feed! I cannot stand for such an injustice. The best breakfast sandwich in Madison must be seen and heralded. Blueberry jalapeño jam?!? Who knew?! @ancorakingst apparently. #madisoneats #sandwiches #breakfastsandwiches #sandwichesofinstagram #sandwichesofwisconsin #sandwichesofmadison #ancoracoffeehouse
The new @ancorakingst is everything. #ancoracoffee #ancorakingst #madisonwi #ancora #ancoramadison #madisoncoffeeshop #kingstreetbusinesses