I sorta admit it, but I don’t care

I am pretty into Parenthood. The show. I wasn’t right away, but then I got hooked sometime in the middle of season two. Look, I know it’s no Homeland or The Office or Parks & Rec or The Wire, but come on, people, those shows are crazy good. And sometimes we just need a little melodrama, don’t we? I admit that Adam can drive me crazy (he really needs to let his eyes settle into his head and try to keep them there – they don’t need to be bugging out all the time) and Max makes me anxious about autism and Sarah is just an annoying person because Lauren Graham is an annoying actress. Ok, but despite that, I love Amber and Crosby and Sydney and Camille. Kristina has really grown on me (so much so that I couldn’t handle the thought of losing her last night and repeatedly and nervously assured Aaron – read: me – that there was no way the show could kill her off). I admit that it can be a little (melo)dramatic, but it’s not like it’s ER or Grey’s Anatomy where all of a sudden a bus of burning blind children comes barreling through the hospital that just lost power and we have to wait and watch in terror as people scramble to save lives in the dark. For the most part, the stuff on the show is pretty normal, every day kinda stuff: relationships, marriage, divorce, parenting, job stress, money stress, life stress, etc.

Nonetheless, I can laugh with Slate taking some jabs at it. The fact that Slate is devoting a bunch of time to this show that us old people are watching, though, shows that they’re watching it — and hooked on it — too. I consider myself in good company.

10 Responses to “I sorta admit it, but I don’t care”

1. 1 Kristin December 12, 2012 at 10:38 am

I kind of wish I watched this show, but I don’t. The end.

2. 2 Kristin December 12, 2012 at 10:40 am

Hahaha. That never gets old.

Seriously, I don’t watch it. But mostly because I didn’t for the first season or so and I just can’t start watching something after it’s already started. And I don’t think I’m going to sit down and watch the first few seasons on Netflix. Or should I? (P.S. I actually personally sort of like Lauren Graham, because of Gilmore Girls. I actually sort of like Alexis whatever her name is because of that show too. What a show. Oh man. )

3. 3 kateandgracie December 12, 2012 at 11:54 am

Yeah, I’m pretty sure she’s the same character on this as she was on GG, but given that I’m not sure I ever saw a full GG episode, I’m probably not justified in saying that.

I don’t know if I can actually make myself say you should Netflix it from the beginning. I feel like that’d be a lot to wade through. But Dax Shepard is awesome so maybe you could just fast forward the parts of the first season or so that don’t involve him.

4. 4 satcla December 12, 2012 at 12:37 pm

You know how I feel about that show. Love. Love. And more love.

5. 5 kateandgracie December 12, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Did you read the Slate articles? Pretty funny.

6. 6 satcla December 13, 2012 at 12:00 am

I haven’t read it yet but I’m one episode behind and I’m scared to read it before I’m caught up! Will certainly get to immediately after I’ve watched though. 🙂

7. 7 Sara H December 13, 2012 at 8:56 am

Can’t say I’ve seen a full episode (it never seems to suck me in), but I agree with Kristin about GG and LG – and who can forget Bad Santa???? That was a risk!

8. 8 kateandgracie December 13, 2012 at 10:40 am

Goodness! I admit I forgot she was in Bad Santa. I also admit I did not think I would like Bad Santa, but that was pretty funny.

9. 9 Heather Certain December 15, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I also don’t watch the show. On your advice (a month or so ago), I started to Netflix it, but only made it halfway through the first episode. Not because I didn’t like it, just got sidetracked and then we moved to Nakoma, where they have everything but Netflix!

But, I also admit to liking Lauren Graham, and Alexis Ble
    del, too. And, I love you and your opinions, so I’m going to start watching.

Speaking of Bad Santa (which you cannot stream for free, I found out last night), what are everyone’s holiday movies? Dale’s (and now mine), are Trading Places and D.O.A., but I think neither of those is streamable. And It’s A Wonderful Life, of course, which, Madison peeps, is playing at Sundance this week.

10. 10 kateandgracie December 17, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Is it? I thought it might be, as it came up on my Fandango app but then had no further info about it. Damn. It. I was hoping maybe it would stay until next week so we could go see it during Three Day Festival of Film for K8 & AO. (That’s December 26-28 for those of you unfamiliar with the festival. It is in its inaugural year, afterall).

DOA with Dennis Quaid? Does that take place during Christmas? I didn’t remember that. I really love IAWL, of course. I also like…Wait. Should this be a post of its own? Coming soon…