And scene (gulp)

IMG_1982[1]

I’m sadder than I thought I’d be, but I’m also more confident that this is the right decision for everyone, especially Gertie. I think our little corner of the world is just too stressful for her. It will be hard to actually say goodbye, and I don’t know when that will be, but I suspect losing all of the stress that has come into our lives with her will be quite wonderful.

7 Responses to “And scene (gulp)”

1. 1 satcla July 1, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Such a hard decision. You all really went above and beyond to make it work for sweet Gertie. She’s so sweet and she will find a place that fits her needs better, I know it. You’re making the best decision for her but saying goodbye is just heartbreaking. I love you all the mostest. ❤️❤️❤️

2. 2 Mary Lloyd July 1, 2014 at 4:57 pm

I hope she can find a perfect place that can help her be a happy dog and run among the poppies. No one could have tried harder. Love you.

3. 3 Sara July 2, 2014 at 9:00 am

What sort of info did the behaviorist provide?

4. 4 Tammy July 2, 2014 at 11:08 am

Thoughts are with you…

5. 5 kateandgracie July 2, 2014 at 11:17 am

The behaviorist basically said she thought that Gertie would do better in a home with less going on, in a setting with less going on. She said the neighborhood was probably too busy for her. She said that if we were thinking about keeping her, she’d want to do a trial for two months. It would start with medication and then some sort of relaxation thingee and then practicing having one person come over consistently and then working on these stimulation games in the backyard and then taking her to a private dog park about once a week. There were a few other things, too. She said, though, that she didn’t know how much of it would work. She said it’s like Gertie has panic attacks and is so tightly wound that it’s incredibly hard to get her to concentrate on anything else when she’s in them. She said that while it’s good that she hasn’t bitten, she can’t say that she never will (given how Gertie approached her initially and whatnot). In essence, we would not be able to walk her or board her for the foreseeable future. And she would require more time and energy and patience than we have. And even then, who knows. I think that keeping her would be in the best interest of no one and that Gertie would be happier somewhere else.

6. 6 Sara July 2, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Aw. Bummer for you, but the right thing is the right thing for all of you. Better to have her find her new home now than after you’ve tried everything to help her adapt and she can’t. Sounds like she’d be a great country dog.

7. 7 kateandgracie July 3, 2014 at 10:01 am

Yeah, I totally agree. It really is best for everyone, especially Gerts. I think running around in a field would bring her a lot of joy.