Bitten off a bit more than I can …

IMG_0867[1]

Feel free to take note of the sewing reference book open, as well as the iPad on top of it. I had to teach myself a few new skillz. The idea behind all of this? Well, I waned to buy Mollybear one of these:

Home Sweet Play Home Canopy (Pink Ombre)

But, at $159, and $199 with the cushion, I didn’t really feel like it. I mean, come on, it’s just a bunch of fabric, right? I’ll show Land of Nod a thing or two, I thought. They’ll come crawling to me, asking me to whip up new models for them. I seriously had delusions of a new career. Tee to the hee on me.

I bought this pattern from Etsy for about $7 with shipping. Score! Then I bought a boatload of super cheap pink fabric from Joann’s because Bear insisted on a pink tent and I wasn’t going to buy expensive fabric for my first go-round at this thing. The fabric for the main part of the tent cost me $30. I decided that to save money, and to offset the wow-factor of the hot pink, I’d use some corduroy aqua blue fabric that I already had for the top. And then I splurged on this super duper cute fabric for the cushion and the back pockets.

Super Kids Super Girls Primary

I mean, what? Could that get any cuter? At first Bear pretended she didn’t like it, but come on. She’s not fooling me. So, two weekends ago I finally dove into the project. About four hours in, I realized that I had cut my pieces all wrong. And I hadn’t even begun sewing yet. Last weekend, I started sewing. About an hour in, I realized that not only had I cut the fabric incorrectly, I hadn’t even cut enough of it. Although I had spent over four hours cutting out the pattern and then the fabric, I still hadn’t cut enough. Wonderful! My thoughts of a second career were starting to subside. When I reached hour six of sewing and recutting and resewing and recutting I realized that $200 for that Land of Nod tent was a steal!

Our dining room table still looks pretty much like the above picture. Yesterday I managed to buy one yard of the supposed five-plus yards of Velcro the project demands (it’s all Walgreens had and I didn’t have the energy to figure out how to get more). I still need to buy an S-hook and a few other things, and to sew the top. And the cushion. And figure out how to open the doors. I think I may have sewn them shut. And poor Bear. She keeps asking when her pink tent will be ready. In the meantime, AO has fastened a very nifty tent out of two chairs, some painters’ tape and a blanket. It didn’t cost us an additional dime and he was done with it in about two minutes. Though I did hear him complain once that the blanket fell down on his first attempt.

6 Responses to “Bitten off a bit more than I can …”

1. 1 Mary August 11, 2015 at 11:05 am

What is that. Looks very complicated

2. 2 satcla August 11, 2015 at 11:18 am

Whoa. That. Is. A. Lot. Also, that fabric really is beyond adorable.

3. 3 Sara August 11, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Neat pattern! And of course cute fabric. You must post pics when done – I’m intrigued, notwithstanding the apparent complexity of the project (or the inaccuracy of the pattern – we can place blame there, yes?). Pockets??

This is why pinterest is dangerous – of course we can make it for cheaper, someone else did it! Which sort of works part of the time.

4. 4 kateandgracie August 11, 2015 at 9:20 pm

Oy vey! I will post pics after using the camera in an out-of-focus setting. Or from about a mile’s distance. Or both. I made a window in one panel and just decided it will have neither screen nor shade. Sorry, Bear. There’s a see-through element to the tent. Them’s the breaks. If that were the only one, you’d be very lucky.

5. 5 Jane Roe August 12, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Can’t stop laughing. It is super cute fabric but what a frustrating project and then Aaron’s tent solution. Too funny.

6. 6 kateandgracie August 13, 2015 at 7:11 pm

It’s just ridiculous that I’m still *learning* lessons like this. Oy.

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

August 2015
« Jul   Sep »
16171819202122

Friday night painting. #graywallswhitetrim #sherwinwilliams #olympuswhite
First fun house project happening here. Thanks @quadrostylestickers . . . #stairrisers #stairstickers #blackandwhite #houseproject #newhouseproject #interiordesign #newhouselove #quadrostylestickers
All ready for her field trip to @aldoleopoldnaturecenter with #laphamelementary. . . . . . Outfit curated by Molly. But most clothes/hat courtesy of @oneil6298, @heather4sure, @marylloyd9165, and @ppacnj. #grateful #fieldtrip #firstgrade #madisonwi #parenthood #littleexplorers #aldoleopold
Happy birthday to my mom, @marylloyd9165. She’s given me more than I deserve and tolerates me more than she should. At this point, I know it may be more because I have some control over when she sees her grandchild, but I’ll take it. She’s the strongest woman I know and my role model. Happy birthday, mom. We love you! ❤️❤️❤️ . . . And I’d give anything to look that cute at any age. #mymommyhero #moms #mymom #myrolemodel
Damage. @costco contracted with #InnoveILogistics to deliver our @lgusa washer & dryer. But instead of delivering the products we paid for, the @costco delivery company, apparently run by @sears crashed into our house, damaged it, and sped off with our appliances. Ugh. #costco #customerservice #whatismytimeworth #disrespectful #damage #damageclaim #housedamage #nodelivery #LG #disappointed #shouldvegonelocal #searsdelivery
Slowlllllllly, but progress. These go to 96”! @cb2 @sherwinwilliams #cb2 #sherwinwilliams #olympuswhite #newhouse #freshcoatofpaint #thesegotoeleven