Tofu secuwa & other delectables

I just want to use this opportunity to celebrate my favorite Madison meal, Chautara’s tofu secuwa. On a recent lovely spring workday, we walked down State, sat outside and took part in total yumsville. Unfortunately, I took some of the pics after partaking in the culinary delights so they don’t really do justice to the beauty on the plate.

A Diet Coke, a treasure from the Himalayas.

A Diet Coke, a treasure from the Himalayas.

Paukada (veggies in a fried chick pea batter with a most delicious salsa)

Paukada (veggies in a fried chick pea batter with a most delicious salsa)

Salad (the dal is awesome, though)

Salad (the dal is awesome, though)

The piece de resistance, the tofu secuwa, which is grilled tofu and green peppers and onions on skewers, served with an amazingly tasty tamarind sauce, spinach ride and a green bean mixture (it looks way prettier when I haven't eaten half of it before photographing it)

The piece de resistance, the tofu secuwa, which is grilled tofu and green peppers and onions on skewers, served with an amazingly tasty tamarind sauce, spinach rice and a green bean mixture (it looks way prettier when I haven't eaten half of it before photographing it)

8 Responses to “Tofu secuwa & other delectables”

1. 1 Sarayu May 11, 2009 at 10:32 am

That looks and sounds so delicious!!! I wish I could eat that right now instead of my usual eggs and coffee.

2. 2 rose May 11, 2009 at 11:17 am

That meal DOES look wonderful!
    I had a buffalo fried tofu dish this past weekend and it did not do the tofu justice.
    I guess I realized I just don’t like buffalo fried stuff. I actually had some fried mushrooms too (different day) at a Tapas place which I really like, however it occurred to me this visit that all of their vegetables are totally deep fried which is pretty annoying. Sometimes it’s just too much….

3. 3 gracieandkate May 11, 2009 at 11:20 am

I think it totally depends on how they fry it. Because there is definitely a way to make it tasty and light (though obviously not the beacon of health) and just a way that it’s a big wad of fry. I’m sure it depends on the oil, the coating, what you’re frying, etc. It’s kinda weird, I think, that a tapas place would have only fried veggies. Seems a bit limited. There’s this place in town that has fried spinach. I love spinach and I love fried, and while I don’t hate this dish, it’s definitely not that tasty.

I don’t think I like buffalo stuff either.

4. 4 Kristin May 11, 2009 at 3:11 pm

I think even I might like this, although there are lots of vegetables.

5. 5 gracieandkate May 11, 2009 at 3:40 pm

True, but the sauces are really outstanding. And you know how scared I can get by sauces. I will take you and you can get something maybe safer and you will try mine and then I will get up to go to the bathroom and you will have put all of my tofu secuwa into your handbag and we will have a good laugh. Hooray!

6. 6 Kristin May 11, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Ha ha ha! That will be awesome. Next year my friend. You can count on it.

7. 7 gracieandkate May 11, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Holding you to it. It’s in writing on the blog. Better than gospel.

8. 8 gwendolyngarden May 12, 2009 at 7:29 am

It sounds delicious right now– or lamb curry sans peas… 🙂

May 2009
« Apr   Jun »
17181920212223

Tile. Le sigh. #tile #floortile #details #tilework #artists #thankyouartists #lesigh #madisonwi
Noontime walk. #hellobucky #bascomhall #ineedthosepitzips #sweatyandfreezing #winterinwisconsin #madisonwi
After an extremely long and entertaining (for those over 6) retirement party, my little Bear has crashed with her little bear. . . . I’ve heard through the office grapevine that some peeps don’t think kids should be at events like this. And that’s a legit opinion. But it’s not mine or Aaron’s so I think we should be all good. . . . Retirements are so bittersweet. This one was a doozy. . . . #wisconsin #friends #ourkidcomeswithus #wiscobarkid #bearonbear #workfamily #humility #sincerity #honesty #love #b&w #eyelashes
A series I’m calling An End of a Era: Skye Had a Limit. Truth be told, she ghosted on Skye and the gang maybe two years ago so this era has been over for some time, but I’m just now getting around to offloading it. And in doing so, I was reminded of both how much we accumulated and in how many forms. The Etsy pegdoll form, in which she asked me to give them little matching string scarves; the tiny little ones Molly insisted on painting because she saw it on YouTube; the pirate series; the Patrollers as poofy rubber squishy friends; and so many more. I love how kids get so into these stories and characters, but the merch is overwhelming. Still, I got a teensy emotional clearing it all out. As you may have guessed. . . . . #pawpatrol #cleaninghouse #growingup #etsy #toomuchstuff #growingpains #decluttering #endofanera
The answer when I Googled why I couldn’t see as well. I’m no doctor, but this seems to check out. #googledoc #visionprobs #over40
Somehow this pic disappeared from my feed! I cannot stand for such an injustice. The best breakfast sandwich in Madison must be seen and heralded. Blueberry jalapeño jam?!? Who knew?! @ancorakingst apparently. #madisoneats #sandwiches #breakfastsandwiches #sandwichesofinstagram #sandwichesofwisconsin #sandwichesofmadison #ancoracoffeehouse