The first rule of bringing home a newborn is…

Ok, I have no idea. But what I would say so far is to be prepared for anything. And I don’t really mean that baby-wise, though obviously that fits, too. I mean it more in, all bets seem to be off in terms of others’ behavior. Because it’s a given (or so I thought) that you never just invite yourself over to an acquaintance’s house, I thought it would be a given that you don’t invite yourself over to an acquaintance who just had a newborn’s house. Apparently, though, this is not the case. We have already had at least four friends/acquaintances invite themselves over. Three of the four have never been to our house before, nor do they know where we live. They’re all nice people, of course, but this time with Baby Girl is so precious and I’m just not ready to share it with folks we aren’t super close to. I really hope I don’t sound like a total ass, but I don’t understand why anyone who isn’t family or a bestie would think it’s ok to invite yourself over to see someone’s baby. It seems to me this stage of Mollyhood should be limited to visits from family and friends who are like family. Or, at the very least, people who know where we live. Rule of thumb, I say: if you need directions, you shouldn’t ask to come over to hold a new baby.

That said, I have loved and appreciated all of the great support we have gotten from our family and good friends in the past months and days and hours and minutes. And that very much includes you, Dear Reader; specifically, the long-time readers of this blog. I appreciate more than ever those of you who have been with me through the sad, sad pumpkin and were so understanding, consoling and kind to me then, and have stayed with me and been so loving and generous and supportive as I have expelled a new person into this world. I hope you know how much you mean to me, to all three, sorry Grace, four of us. Thank you.

PS- Yesterday was the birthday of Greatest Actress of Our Generation, so a big happy birthday to GAOG from all of us at Life & Puppies. GAOG has been busy hobnobbing with A-listers (who else?), observing heart surgeries and trying on sleek black dresses to wear in her new pilot. Stay tuned for more info on her upcoming project: Chelsea General!

6 Responses to “The first rule of bringing home a newborn is…”

1. 1 Terry March 9, 2012 at 2:02 am

Just want to remind you that I know how to get to your house. No directions necessary. Plus: I have a key. Molly seemed relieved when I told her.

2. 2 kateandgracie March 9, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Hahaha! Yes, that is all very true. The thing is, I feel like such an ass because there are people I can’t wait to introduce her, too, but when it starts spiraling into more peripheral people in my life, I start getting really protective. I think that must be normal, right? Someone please tell me it’s normal.

The sweetest thing ever (ok, I probably will be saying that a lot lately) was when I was feeding Molly today and wincing in pain when I got a text from Stephanie saying she had left a few things on our doorstep. Aaron went outside and picked up a cute bag with a cute pink ribbon that had two great books (one she had recommended to me earlier — about sleeping; I can tell I’m going to be obsessed with it), cute t-shirts and the CUTEST pair of homemade (!!!) mushroom pants the world has ever seen. All just waiting for us on our doorstep. I admit it made me tear up a bit. So damn sweet.

3. 3 Terry March 10, 2012 at 9:38 am

It is absolutely normal. And what a terrific and thoughtful friend Stephanie is!

4. 4 Jane Roe March 10, 2012 at 11:19 am

Whew thank God I know the way to your house.

Seriously, though, it is amazing how almost complete strangers will feel it is perfectly all right to have a look at your new baby. I remember right after we got Tim, my mom and I were in the grocery store and this lady I barely knew came charging over to see him. Well she was wearing a huge diamond and apparently my mom thought she was going to somehow scratch Tim, so my mom started backpedaling with the shopping cart and Tim while the woman kept charging after them. Actually it was a pretty funny sight.

At any rate, I am hoping that by next weekend all your other family members will all be over their Molly-fixes (ha ha) and that will leave holding her to just me and my family:)

5. 5 Sara H March 12, 2012 at 8:59 am

Totally normal! You JUST got home. Yikes!

6. 6 kateandgracie March 13, 2012 at 3:39 pm

That’s a super funny image — your mom backing up with Tim & the grocery card. And I’m glad to hear from all of you that I’m not being completely crazy.

How you all did this and are still so sane and normal, I have no idea. I’m exhausted.